The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2143 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/16/05
A very powerful story! Good job. I see why this won. Keep up the good work!
01/09/06
Wow. I've prayed with many abuse survivors, and you've nailed one of their defence mechanisms incredibly well. The hard part, once the Lord has healed the memories, is training the mind to stay in reality when things get tough as an adult.
01/10/06
This is superbly painful, and superbly well-done. Your transitions from Laura's dilemma to her "escape" and back were flawless.
01/11/06
Now I've got a lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach. I think I'm going to be sick - it's just so awful. God bless those poor little ones! Wonderful writing.
Wow. This one knocked the breath out of me.
Wow. Thank you for the prayer reminder. Well written. You did a good job at getting the point across without being graphic.
01/14/06
The tears I shed now are due to my inability to protect them all. You have wounded me, yet it is nothing compared to the harm done to our innocent ones. Lord Jesus, help them and draw them to you.

Our craft is best when the craft is transparent and the experience is real. You have accomplished this with terrible greatness. Thank you.
For reasons I will not express here, you have captured with tragic beauty the terrible power the abuser has - and yet the power of escape within the heart and mind of a child who will surely survive. Thank you. God bless.
Incredibly skillful story telling. Every aspect of the weaving of this story was masterful. Painfully exquisite.
01/16/06
I've already commented, but you deserve congratulations for your win. I knew this one would place. After reading this the first time, I tossed and turned all night and woke up thinking about it. That's a mark of great writing when your reader is so affected by it over time.
Wow, this is amazing in ways I can't quite describe or understand...but it pulls my heart toward yearnings for healing and wholeness. Very powerful.
01/16/06
This was perfect in most every way. Excellent writing and an excellent storyline. It was only missing a drop of hope that is usually a requisite here on FW! But the power of the piece overcame that. A very deserving win! Congratulations!
Excellent story, although it's difficult to praise as the subject is so hard to deal with. We so often want to pretend this doesn't happen because we think it's easier to ignore than dealing with it. I agree: when a short story like this sticks with you long after it's read, it deserves to win. Congratulations: I hope to see more.
Congratulations, Ann, on your Editor's Choice win! It was well-deserved! Thank you for givinf victims of pedophiles a voice!
Congrats on your well-deserved win. As others have said, this was powerful. And disturbing. Well done.
01/17/06
Excellent Ann. Congratulations. I hadn't gotten to reading this one during the week. If I had, I'd have complimented you sooner!
01/17/06
A hard topic to write convincingly on andyou did a great job of it. Had me caring deeply for the child and soooo sad when she didn't really escape.
01/17/06
Congratulations! So many like stories in this week's "Escape" challenge, but yours has captured these Readers' minds and hearts. If ever this subject comes up again, I hope SOMEBODY writes about solutions; as in "how to run" or "how to tell somebody" - and not just keep taking it! In these modern days...there is HELP out there! How to get THAT HELP needs to be told instead of the story. But you did a great job of telling this one! Kudos!
Even after reading everyone's comments I am still in shock and in tears at how vivid everything you wrote was and still is in my mind. I am saddened and upset...I hope to be a help to victims of any kind of abuse in my life...

Other than that, may God continue to increase your gift of writing. Very well done.
01/18/06
I'm supposed to be a writer and I can't find any other word than WOW! Incredibly written peice that had me right there. Please keep writing, the Lord will surely be working through your pen.
01/18/06
Wow, Ann. This was powerful stuff.
Great win.
Wow.
01/18/06
Oh Ann, you've done it again. I'm completely blown away by this story. I don't think I'll ever forget it, and I pray that your readers will act on the compassions you have stirred up. May God bless you as you continue to serve Him!
Wow. Ann this is outstanding work. Congratulations on your win. It was well-deserved. Powerful stuff.
Excellent. Congratulations on your well-deserved win. - Donna
I can't even imagine the horror of a child having to live in this kind of circumstance. You portrayed it well. I'm a little late reading this but Congratulations.
I know this is an old entry, Ann, but this one had me in tears and feeling like I wanted to vomit all at the same time. Very powerful writing. You have such skill - and I'm sorry that this is something you experienced. Thank you so much for sharing it. You are one of my heros.
03/12/06
I just wanted to add that this is a powerful, well-written story. It definitely deserved first place. I'm sure it must have been so difficult for you to write it, but the blessing you give for others to understand and help these victims is priceless. I pray that God will BLESS you with His abundant grace.