The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 435 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
The story starts out with a great line that instantly pulled me in. I could feel the tension. You did a great job of painting a very vivid picture. The suspense built as I read, and I could feel my own heart pounding.

I did notice you used sweat a few times to indicate nervousness. You might want to mix it up a bit. Think of other things people might do when nervous such as crack their knuckles, lack lips, jiggle hands or knees, twirl a piece of hair, tap foot and so on.

I liked how the trucker kept showing up. It helped build the suspense and conflict even more. I felt a bit confused at the end, but finally figured out the big scary trucker was the one muttering soothing phrases to the tiny baby. I think it's a great ending, but wonder if it might have been even better if you had used more of your wonderful descriptions. Perhaps something like: The giant arms, speckled with tattoos, didn't seem as intimidating as I watched those arms cradle the tiny baby.

It's not much different than what you did, but perhaps less rushed. The ending is often the most difficult part to write, especially with such a tight word count. You did a great job and left me with a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling. I can totally relate to the MC.
11/08/16
I enjoyed the descriptions and suspense in this cute story. You definitely had my curiosity throughout the whole piece.