The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1508 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/17/11
Oh how I understand!
What a difficult situation to deal with! I sure admire this mom’s calm demeanor, at least on the outside. I’m afraid my outside would’ve matched her inside. Aak!

Loved this bit of dialogue: “If he hasn’t called you in the week since he “showed” you how much he loves you, how much love do you think he’ll show in a marriage? Or to a baby?” Young people need to be reminded of this reality.

Nicely written. Fits the topic very well.
Very suspensful and unfortunately true. A very understanding mother and honest daughter. They seem to have a good relationship so whatever the test result you have convinced me they will be fine. When you decide to write, you can really get it done. Great job.
02/20/11
I think I "gulped" right along with the mom! Good words of advice from a wise mom.
I'm dying to know what happens next....nice job with building the story as you went along. I too was impressed with how well the mom handled the crisis.
02/20/11
Lots of emotion in this, lots of heart and just the right words the mother passes along.
Excellent job bringing this story to life, Cat! I could feel the fear and shame that Maria struggled through. I feel bad for young women in her position.
02/21/11
This brought me to tears! The unconditional love of a parent for their child, no matter what mistakes are made. Loved it!
02/22/11
Great concept for this topic. The dialogue felt a bit stilted - maybe some less correct sentences would have loosened it up a bit. Very real drama and tension.
02/22/11
I remember the day our daughter came to us. The situation you wrote about was real. I know because I lived it...twice. My response was pretty much the same as this mother's. Great dialogue, strong emotions. Extremely well written with a great message for young adults.