The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1259 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Wow, this is amazing. The dialogue just flows and carries me into the story. I felt as if I was sitting there watching everything. Impeccable writing! I just love this piece. Whether you win or not with this entry, this is one of the best I have read s far.
02/03/11
The feel was so authentic. I think you got it just right. The heart-cry of the slave is very moving, especially when he reflects on his children's lives. Your last sentence cuts like a knife. I'll remember this for a long time.
02/03/11
I love the 'flavor' of this story. The final line gives a hint of resentment in a matter of fact way without bitterness or malice. I enjoyed this one very much.
02/04/11
Wow. It was like I was there listening to the MC's story. Very powerful.
02/04/11
An absolutely excellent story. Loved it - the message so poignant.
02/04/11
Your title certainly clued me in on what to expect--but the story delivered so much more. Pictures flooded my mind as your story unfolded and I was transported to a different time and place in history. Excellent dialog and imagery throught this entry which I suspect will be a winner.
02/04/11
You have captured and released so much feeling in here, with a warm-hearted yet challenging piece.
Outstanding entry. Well done.
Very well done--a difficult task. You did a great job showing the variety of his thoughts and reality, as well as the ups and downs of his life. Wonderful.
02/07/11
As a lover of historical fiction, I was deeply touched by your story. What a great take on this topic!
Your story showed clearly what a terrible time for the slave this was in history. Your mc was a very admirable man, revealing how God can make a difference amid the difficulties of life.
02/09/11
Great characterisation. Not so sure about the soft beds in Africa though. Whenever I have slept in African villages, it was always on a bamboo mat on a clay floor. Loved the sense of hope your story instilled
02/09/11
Ooo Laury, this is so good. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said. I could hear James talk and see him watch Jessa. Excellent writing!