The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1157 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/11/10
I can relate to this on many levels. Growing up in the service on bases, us air-force-brats didn't know what 'race' meant no matter where we lived or what country. Awesome, awesome story! I enjoyed each level in my own special way. Even the special needs child. My daughter was 'friends' with a 'very special needs' child when she was 3-5yrs old. Heather (her friend) lived on a water bed until she was ten. Loved the depth behind the words of this story.
Nicely written. I think running a mile under six minutes would be more realistic than a quarter mile, if bragging was intended. That, to me, seemed a little out of sync.
Oops! My comments about the running time were off base. Ruby was the runner, not Cassie as I had in mind. Great time, Ruby.
02/12/10
Absolutely stunning writing from start to finish. Fantastic tone, dialogue and pacing. I am in awe of the ironic, yet completely satisfying ending. I love this one.
Fantastic writing and story from start to finish. And that rascal...stealing kisses from all three...or just maybe he was showing us that he had no bias. We are all one race, created in the image of God.
02/16/10
I'm having a little trouble catching my breath. That was... incredible. It's sooooo deep. Thank you.
So much to love in this sensitive piece. One thing that stands out to me is that often time people and places are put upon our paths for a very specific reason. However, it is the heart's ability to receive that reason that makes/transforms us into what we might better become. In that this was written as a reflective piece by the narrator, I think it can be safely said that the experience was certainly a transcendence for the good - possibly only adding muscle to the strength that was already there.
02/16/10
Another amazing piece from Lisa. Your dialogue and descriptions are so authentic--you have me right in the middle of the story, as if I were another character. Such an incredible message.
02/16/10
Wow, Lisa...breathtaking. I really felt that I knew these all-so-real characters. Lovely... and so well done!
02/17/10
I love the images you give your reader, from the clapboard house(s) to the three going around the track. Love your style/voice here and your message is profound (as usual). :)
02/17/10
You took me back to my childhood in so many ways with this awesome piece. It was a precious ride. Wonderful writing.
02/17/10
Bravo. Splendid. Grasping.
'Some of what was taken away' is what makes this story so very telling. Each moment/thought/word in the race direction chips away and all we can hope for is to partially restore. That depth is what made this story so believable.
I hope this is an EC winner.

Mona
This kind of writing takes my breath away--so real, so beautiful--so soul piercing.
02/17/10
Well-crafted and profound. This is great stuff on so many levels. I am at a loss for what to say, other than I was riveted.
02/17/10
This story mixes tween confusion with a slice of romance. I love the non-judemental, accepting attitude of the characters toward each other. Color, talent, or intelligence melts away and all that's left is friendship.
The boy kissing each girl seemed almost kind of shady to me, but I see the point that you were making.

All-in-all, great writing!
Stunning. Very literary. Absolutely amazing. Ok, one thing I didn't get - "“Nooo—please don’t say that,” I cried, emotions suddenly spent. “Don’t tell them that.”" Don't tell them what? don't say what? You have to tell me, cuz I'm feeling quite dense. :) I will be heartbroken if this isn't at the top somewhere. You've created a masterpiece.
02/18/10
I had a little trouble following it at first, but once I forced my ADD brain to focus I really enjoyed it. Loved it. Love you. ;)
02/18/10
Congratulations on your EC. Re-reading this made me smile.
02/18/10
4 weeks in a row, girl! How do you do it? Congrats, Lisa!! I was glad to see this on the EC list!
02/18/10
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
When is your class on dialogue? You should win an award or be studied by students on the craft of using dialogue.
You are a blessing. God has big plans for you. Phillipians 1:6
02/18/10
Congrats Lisa! One of very favorites!
02/18/10
So touching and beautiful!
Wow, Lisa, congrats on yet another EC!

And thank you so much for the time you take to review/critique my pieces, it means so much. I try to apply your advice each week. You really are a Master! :-)
Very interesting. I'm glad there was a happy ending in that sense. I'm glad the girls have each other(and no secrets!)
02/19/10
Breathtaking, even days and several reads later. Congratulations on this exquisite piece.