The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1375 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/21/09
A sincere tribute to those who make our winter roads a bit safer. Nicely done.
Glad to share Joe's truck in keeping the roads safe. You did a good job of showing the heart of a dedicated worker.
08/23/09
The perspective was unusual—and that set the story apart. Hurrah for the salt truck operators.
08/24/09
"Growing up in Michigan"--we KNOW about those roads, don't we?

As far as spicing it up...maybe a climactic moment where it's obvious that his work has averted a tragedy?

The writing and characterization are dandy, and I enjoyed reading this!
08/24/09
A good interesting solid story. I felt almost as though I was in the cab viewing the important work. Thanks
08/24/09
I had read it a couple times earlier this week. To me, it's a simple story that is on topic and very telling of the MC. What it lacked in suspense it offered in day-to-day truth.
I enjoyed it.
Mona
08/24/09
During my midwest years, I always felt sorry for the road crews during winter storms. You've given us an eye-opening glimpse into their life. I have greater respect, now.
It's a good and solid entry. Don't be too hard on yourself. I think you'll be surprised how high you place with this one, and rightly so! Kudos!
I love the smooth easy pace that eases through this worker's stressful day.
08/25/09
A smooth read that glides along nicely!
08/25/09
I love it! I think it has that every-man feel to it that I like. I truly enjoyed going through this man's day. If you do want to spice it up a bit, expand on one or two of those "oh-no-in-the-ditch" scenarios. (Maybe when he was on the icy road--that road had me tense--like I was actually driving there!)I could feel the stress in this man's shoulders as he tried very hard to do the right thing for the citizens.
08/25/09
Your story put me on pins and needles, anticipating an accident that Joe fortunately prevented! Most of us have ordinary jobs that sometimes feel like drudgery. This story is a beautiful illustration of how important some of our monotonous tasks really are. Beautiful word pictures. I could see the snowy roads and feel winters cold chill.
I could picture the icy streets and feel the MC's tension and desire for drivers to be safe. Great descriptions and well written!
08/28/09
Hey, super congrats on your EC!!