The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2081 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/16/07
"A singer sways, and groans,
and births a thousand years into a song, a thousand tears
into blue."

I like the idea of songs coming from the heart and from people's life experiences. It reminded me of the Pslam that begins "By the rivers of Babylon".
03/16/07
The Father of Rivers, I like that. And He'll listen to whatever we sing.
The rhythm of the blues is strongly felt all through this beautiful poem Great job!

The images written in a rhythm of a blues song made this poem touching and lovely to read. I like your line breaks, they added to the meaning and mood.
03/20/07
I felt I was sitting on the pier on a Louisiana bank, listening to the blues rockin' on the porch. This was done most masterfully. I could feel this in my soul.
03/20/07
Linda, as much as I love your charming rhymes, I think it's in free verse that you really shine. This is just PERFECT--every word chosen expertly to create a bluesy poem that just sings--and then delivers, just in the precisely perfect way. This is literary and intelligent, yet absolutely full of soul.
03/20/07
What an incredible "blues-y" mood this piece generates! The feel is slow, deep, and very rich! Excellent writing! :)
03/21/07
I love the voice that permeates this piece - and Jan is right, it is so clear that every word was chosen precisely and is perfectly placed.
Really nice! I especially liked this part.

A blue voice weaves,
and twines
through locust drone.


Great job. ^_^
03/22/07
I felt like I was in the Big Easy drinking up these precious, perfect words. Great!
03/22/07
Oh, so nice. This could be spoken while Coltrane plays. I loved it! Thanks for sharing it
03/22/07
Congrats! You did it again!
Congrats on the EC! ^_^
Congrautulations on placing with this lyrical entry. Enjoyed the read.
I loved this! Definitely one of my favorites this week.
03/24/07
Congratulations, Linda! I love the Blues, anytime, anywhere! Seems to tell it like it is; from down deep inside, it wails & moans the depth of misery, of lost love and rejection. Topnotch choice of music for your challenge...and you did it up proud.
Oh, Linda, free verse is indeed your forte. You write it so effortlessly, and it is as fluid and easy to read as molasses slowly pouring out onto a checkered oil cloth in a country kitchen in the delta. How exquisite! This must have been quite a read! How I would love to have heard it! I wish you had taped it!
Just had to read it again to say--You're the best at free verse of anyone!