The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1398 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/19/07
Cute and clever! It felt a bit rough in places, but that could just be me. I enjoyed the personalities you gave to all the parts of speech. Very creative!
Oh, so cute!! I could just see all those little characters popping out of that usually very practical grammar book. :) You've written a delightfully entertaining poem! Such fun!
01/20/07
Oh, my! This has to go into every writer's "favorites." What a clever, bouncy with rhythm and rhyme work of poetry you have created. I love it.
01/23/07
I had to come back for another comment, after the Sunday Scripture texts and sermon on the members of the body of Christ. You, dear writer, are conveying a wonderful analogy of 1 Corinthians 12:14-27! And, since Jesus is "The Word," this makes it even more appropriate. I am truely stunned.

Something else I noticed: You could turn this into a quiz. Which part of speech is speaking which lines? :)

This is certainly a winner in my book.
I enjoyed your creative geammar lesson. With your permission, I would like to share it with the jr. high grammar teacher at my school. The rhyme and rhythm were well-done, as well. It is definitely one for the favorites file!
01/23/07
Very interesting. I love the way you gave voice to punctuation marks. Extremely creative!
01/23/07
These parts of speech argue like the gingham dog and the calico cat! Well, I don't know how you did it! I can't write poetry, but, if I could, I still don't think I could personalize the parts of speech and have them argue with each other...with meter and rhyme. Amazing! How do you do it? I'm flabbergasted (is that still a word and did I spell it right? Ask your friends, those smarty pants in this poem!) This was amazing! Keep up the good work!
01/23/07
'You flow’ry thing, don’t tell me you don’t know
That growing writers do avoid you so.' Hehe - not me! ;)

What fun, and I LOVE the ending. I wish I understood grammar to know what all the fuss was about! Haha! :)

But you know, it sounds so typical and I think you captured the writers soul here. The conflicts as we write - what to use - what not to use, and so on. Toooo real. Kudos on a very fun read!
01/24/07
Oh gosh, I love this--would like to see it in grammar books to introduce "parts of speech."

The only suggestion I have is something to make it clear--when the parts begin to talk--that there are different speakers. It took me a few stanzas to catch on. You did right to avoid quotation marks--would've been messy--but maybe having every other "speaker's" words in italics?

And even though this is great fun, there's a message--we all work together. Really, really cute.
VERY creative! Loved this :)
This is why I haven't entered a poem since I've benn ib advanced! Too much competition! Loved the whimsey!
01/24/07
Besides that, you are all distracting me,”
And, quietly, the parts of speech agree.


I love that line! This is very cute. I had a little trouble following who was doing the speaking but all in all it didn't hurt the piece. It was alot of fun!
01/25/07
Nothing silly about great talent!! ENtertaining and a effectivly delivered message. SUper job. God bless.