The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2165 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I can't believe none have yet commented on this powerful piece of writing. It is always a tragedy when a life is taken - or, perhaps, given - when there seems to be so much left to be lived.
Thank you for sharing this - not as an anti-war protest - but as a memorial who have given their lives that others may live.

God bless you - and all who have served this country, both living and dead,

Kevin
To those of you who read this after me...GO TO THE LINK THE AUTHOR SUGGESTED. It bears witness to those who died that WE may LIVE.
Do Not pass blithely by.
This is awesome! From the first line "The Cross...wore a flack jacket" an honorable and inspiring memorial to those who gave so much for others.
08/25/06
Thanks for the memories and your well-written story. As I've said before, God never takes something away without leaving something good in its place. Each life has a timetable and a purpose to fulfill. And sometimes a life that is brief will leave a legacy that is awesome.
08/26/06
What a fantastic story of honor, sacrifice and duty; such a great tribute to our troops, but also a great way to explain the sign of the cross and what it means to us. Great job. I loved it! Kudos and God Bless.
08/26/06
Wonderful tale - and so moving. Exceptionally well told! Wow!
08/28/06
What I like -Oh wow...this is so beautiful it gave me chills. What a wonderful personal glimpse into a part of life most of us don't ever see. Great story and examples!

What I might change - really nothing... I loved it.
08/29/06
Oh! It's beautiful! What a lovely and moving piece of writing. You will touch many hearts with this piece, dear friend! Bless you and thank you for sharing!
08/29/06
I was very emotional about this piece when I read it. My father was in Vietnam and I remember him leaving. This piece is moving, well crafted, real and uplifting. You, dear friend are a master writer and I'm continually amazed how beautifully you write for our Savior. Bless you!
This was intense and could flow only from a heart that experienced it.

This line was the most significant one for me, and pointed out how sacrificial God's love is: "In a sense, Gary died in his place, so this other soldier could be counted among the survivors of the spiritual battle for souls."

What a beautiful tribute to this young man!
08/29/06
Great first couple of lines. you had me sold to read the rest of the story from the begining. Also a first rate tribute. Needs a little structural work, but I think with a little editing this story would be welcome by almost any magazine editor. Nice job. Oh, and I think you should change to the title to "The cross wore a flack jacket."
08/30/06
Well written. This sobering, truth-filled piece is sure to touch hearts.
09/06/06
TOP 15 LEVEL 3 ENTRIES - “THE CROSS” CHALLENGE
13 Signposts by Edy T Johnson

TOP 40 ENTRIES - “THE CROSS” CHALLENGE
26 Signposts by Edy T Johnson
03/25/07
It's hard, even today, to read about Viet Nam; there is a vacant space in our hearts that will never be filled here on earth. For those of us who did come home there remains the guilt of coming home when others didn't.
Thank you, Edy, for sharing. God bless and keep writing.
08/12/11
I have a recent postscript to this story. For over 40 years, I'd wanted to somehow connect with Gary's parents, but couldn't find enough information. Then in recent weeks, checking another military website, I discovered that Gary's best friend had left a post. The email wasn't current, but the name was unusual enough, that I did a search on facebook. In the last couple weeks, I heard from him, shared this story, and through him connected with Gary's sister! Sadly, all this happened just after Gary's mother's death and before her memorial service. Strange timing, but God knows the reasons!