The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1318 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/30/06
I love the pov you used in this piece...and it rings so true. But did you leave off a word in your last sentence, like "all you see is space"- But I love that contrast between those who let God in and those who haven't yet.
02/03/06
Perspective is everything. Nicely done.
02/03/06
Johnnie's manner of speaking seems to change from slang to almost poetic when he describes nature - to me that didn't ring true to his character (the way he had already been portrayed). The ending was perhaps a little too neat - how often does someone really change the way they see something so quickly? But your writing is good and down to earth, with a quirkiness that bodes well for you.
02/03/06
Since this was written in the first person, I wanted it to end with a statement from your narrator. Not necessarily a "pat ending", but some comment from him.

Your writing skills are very obvious, and I look forward to reading more of your work. Nice job.
02/03/06
Nice. It seems that the main character still doesn't "get it". It is good of the other character to still try to share God's goodness with his friend.

02/04/06
You did a great job of setting the scene - I could visualize being on the mountain next to the campfire and that's a good thing to be able to do! I enjoyed the differences between the two men.
Ah, thank you for gifting me with that look into the sky! I relived moments of soaking in those celestial sights through your story. Blessings,
02/04/06
You have strong descriptive skills. The scene was very well set. I've been to those mountains... I've heard that creek... I've thrown rocks at that owl (uh ... never mind that last part!) Dialect is so hard to carry... your poetic way of writing slipped through into the dialect. Not a bad thing, though. It could also just as easily be that your character waxes poetic when speaking of God's creation. Anyway, I loved this. Keep at it. There are many wins in your future.
Wow! Whether you're writing poetry or prose, you always have such BEAUTIFUL descriptions! I love your writing! Well done!