The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 331 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/29/16
Great writing and humor! You lost me when it came to the "thump...thump" but the first part of your story really had me going! Maybe a rearranging of paragraphs might do the trick! Good job!
You have some good parts here. I liked your characters.

I'll admit I was a bit confused when the kid didn't know what day it was. I totally understand why the brother teased him, but why didn't the parents step in? Lastly, my biggest question is what kind of parents let kids that little watch Walking Dead? Of course, that is your point later on, but I'm still scratching my head some that it took 7 seasons to figure that out(meaning the middle child had been watching it since he was 2!)

Be aware that not all readers will know what the TV show is about or even have heard of it. I've never watched the show myself for more than a few seconds before I knew I'd have nightmares if I watched more. You also have some errors like fathers' instead of father, some run-ons, and each matched with their (each is singular so it should be each/his or her place.)

I do think using TV shows to mark the calendar's passing is quite clever and really speaks loudly to what we are doing with our kids today. You make some great points about this for sure. The ending was sweet, but also speaks volumes about today's world. I think you have a solid idea, but either it's hard to explain in 750 words or could use some more tweaking, but I truly admire your creativity, the out-of-the-box take on the topic, and the message. Keep writing and keep reading and commenting on other entries as well.
10/29/16
I love your creativity and the variety of phrases you used in your article. The one thing I didn't catch is why is the Walking Dead a bad show? I know what it is, but for the reader a bit about why it is not a family show would be good to include. Don't assume the reader has seen the the series. Again, you have great creativity. I could envision the family hovering together. It brought a smile to my face.
11/01/16
The pacing of this story is very good--lots of dialog and white space to keep the readers' eyes traveling rapidly down the page.

I had a difficult time following this, though--the bit about what day it was seemed unnecessarily confusing. And it was very topical--tied to one particular episode of a television show--and thus will be difficult to follow for anyone unfamiliar with the show (or that particular episode).

Keep the pacing, the humor, your unique voice, and keep your readers in mind. Your writing has a lot of potential.
Towards the first, I was not able to follow the conversations. Toward the last I could not get into the TV programs since I don't watch very many of them.

This just was not one of my kind of pieces.