The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1041 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
A hideously painful,black moment, expressed in a way which starts with flowers and Church and ends with hope and healing. Remarkable.
10/22/09
Sad story, very sad indeed. I would have liked to know why your daughter wasn't with you that day. Either you forgot to include this or felt it wasn't necessary. It is because fills the gap for the reader.
10/27/09
Oh, so sad! I'm glad that you've been able to come to peace with it.

I'm with the previous commenter; there are a few questions that really need to be answered--why was the daughter at home (and with whom), and what caused her death?

This must have been hard to write; thanks so much for sharing with us!
I have never lost a child and I pray I never do but to me that would be one of the hardest and most painful experiences to deal with. The one thing that keeps us going when we lose a loved one is God's love and grace. Thank you for sharing such a heart wrenching story.
10/29/09
Sure, a person is curious about what brought this about, but I think long explanations would have distracted from the focal point. The focus here is the all-encompousing blackness that a person experiences at the moment of devistating news. Then we are shown the light which is the only thing that can pierce such blackness, faith in God and His love. Good Job!
10/29/09
thanks for the comments. The real reasons were complex, she was in hospital when she died. I did initially make a fictional reason but was not satisfied with it so edited it out.
Her death left many 'whys' in my own mind and so I felt it would work better to leave this unexplained. The main purpose of the piece was to provide a contrast with the normality and beauty of the start of the day with the sudden blackness.