The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 709 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/14/07
This would have been a really good piece for fear. It's a good reminder for us to share our faith; others are counting on us. One part I didn't understand -- maybe a typo?
"When she jumped out of her mouth and started off on this horrendous descent,"

Very good. I do hope it's only a dream so your character has another chance at eternal life!
Laury
09/16/07
Terrifying! Great imagery.

Wasn't sure about the word "Puk," it's not one I've seen before, and if you were going for onomatopoeia, it seems like the wrong sound.

You really nailed the fear and regret....good job.
09/18/07
I really liked this idea and the feeling of motion you gave the reader. In something like this, you might consider showing more often than telling. Every time you used a passive verb, I felt a little cheated. And a writer should never use "indescribable." It's our job to describe.
01/20/13
Thanks for the comments.
On the matter of jumping out of the mouth, it was really not a typo.
At death, the spirit person leaves the body though the mouth. If you are present when someone dies you sometimes might hear what sounds like belching as the spirit exits via the mouth, leaving it agape.