The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1648 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/13/06
Wow! As a reader I can tell that a lot of thought went into your story line. At first I thought you were searching for a buddy, or a long lost love. I was so wrong and delighted to read the twist in the story line. This is a tribute to our beloved fallen soldiers. Well done!
07/14/06
I second the wow! This was awesome. Great visuals and word usage. Perfect ending. I was there with her as she made her way to the wall. What are you doing in beginners? Great job.:)
07/14/06
Ditto on everything Valora and Terri said - this smells like a winner.
I read a lot more than I write, but I seldom read every paragraph of every story to the very end. I just had to know what you were searching for, and was careful not to miss whatever that was. Your way of writing kept the story interesting - and the end was so powerful, I felt every emotion.
07/14/06
This writing couldn't be more perfect. From the title and first couple lines, I was hooked. Moving through the paragraphs I found myself in tears (who wouldn't?), right there with you at The Wall. And, what a powerful conclusion you make with your spiritual link. This is Masterful writing.
07/15/06
Test
I agree this is powerful writing and grips your attention the whole way through. However, I dont' see how, "I didn’t tell him I was coming." fits the piece at all. And also, "How would I find him? All I knew was his name." does not make sense to me. But on the whole your writing is gripping!
07/17/06
Yes, the "I didn't tell him I was coming" threw me in the light of what followed, but this is a moving tribute. I especially loved this picture: "Like a single snowflake in a blizzard". Well done.
07/18/06
Wonderful, heart wrenching story. I love the expressive line
Like a single snowflake in a blizzard.

Yet, God sees and cares. Thank you for sharing!



07/18/06
I agree that in your effort to give us a "twist", you may have unintentionally le us astray...but that doesn't take away from this gorgeously written tribute.
07/18/06
Moving and heartfelt, perfect in every way!
Awesome job! I couldn't take my eyes off of the monitor!

Trina<><
It's amazing. What are you doing in the beginners? There's talented writer here judges. :)
07/18/06
you made me chuckle right away with your peanut putter and jelly analogy! Loved your twist. A little polishing and it's perfect. You definately need to move up.
07/18/06
Excellent job! I totally loved it from start to finish.
07/18/06
Just a one word change, Ann, would satisfy the above comments. Instead of "I didn’t tell him I was coming," change to "I COULDN'T tell him I was coming."

As for not knowing "how" she would find him, when you go to The Wall, it helps if you know what year the person was in Vietnam. It's been over 10 years since I was there. I recall looking in a big book for one name from 1968, before knowing where on The Wall to find it.
07/19/06
A captivating and touching story. A favorite line: I could almost feel the outline of his face when I caressed the letters of his name." Very well done.
07/19/06
This is really great. You are too good for "Beginners". Your writing is powerful, as has been said before.
07/20/06
Great story -- I thought at first you were searching for a birth father or natural relative. Wonderfully written. Agreed -- you don't belong in beginners! "Great" job! :)
Thank you, I'm not even wiping my tears away as I write my heartfelt thanks for a very worthy piece, but more than that, it is an expression of the heart you put on this page. I too am a Vietnam Veteran. I was shorebound, but I too was willing. I can't thank you enough for this well written work dedicated to the men who are great for the sacrifice they made. Please keep writing
07/20/06
Very well written. Your words painted pictures and you took me with you searching for these names. Great job.
Ann, congrats on placing 6th in the top 15 of beginners. This is a wonderful piece which I enjoyed very much reading.

Keep writing for the glory of HIM!

Trina<><