The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 813 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/08/15
Your comments are excellent and clearly expressed.
10/09/15
Good job with the title- it stands out.

I enjoyed reading your article and you asked a very good question. It is something that we all should be asking, and then examine ourselves in light of what the Bible says.

All the best. :)

10/09/15
Great job with the topic.

God bless~
10/09/15
Well researched story. I like your comment about "flavoring the world" by rubbing off on them with a Christian attitude.
You definitely made some interesting points in this essay. I like the active versus passive part quite a bit. I often tell writers to use active sentences instead of passive ones, yet I never considered that comparison in my faith. I think it's quite brilliant.

Be aware of capitalizing words like joy and hope. Just recently, there was an excellent lesson about capping God pronouns and God words in Jan's Writing Basics on the message boards. If you haven't checked it out yet, I'd urge you to do so. She makes some great points.

Also, make sure you cite anything you quote, even if it's a dictionary, give the complete name and put the quoted parts inside quotation marks.

This read a bit like an essay. If you wanted to avoid that in the future, add dialog, thoughts, and body language. Even nonfiction pieces can have more showing than telling. For example: I nibbled on my fingernails as I read Webster's Dictionary's definition of the word zest: "Great enthusiasm... "
Hm, how can a true Christian lack zest? I grabbed my Bible, eager to find the answer to that question.
It's not perfect, but I wanted to show you what I meant.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it reading like an essay if that's your intention, but sometimes a personal reflection might connect with more people. One way is not more right than the other, and of course, the suggestions are just my opinions.

I think you did a great job of covering the topic too. While the general idea of Christian's having zest might be common, I think the way you covered the topic and asked and answered the questions was fresh and interesting. It made me stop and really examine my own faith. For a Christian author, I think that's the ultimate goal and one of the highest forms of praise. You really did draw me in and make me think. This is the type of article that has different messages for different people, and for me that's evidence of the Holy Spirit being involved in every part of your writing. I look forward to reading more of your work.
You have put thought into the topic and then expressed yourself nicely.

Your "zestful" life is not trying to be saved by works but by allowing the Holy Spirit work through your life because you have yielded yourself in obedience to Jesus' commands.

Again, well written.
10/10/15
I like how you point out the importance of action. It is the precursor to change. As the old saying goes, "Nothing changes if nothing changes, and if I keep doing what I've always done, I'll keep getting what I've always got, and will keep feeling what I always felt."