The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 536 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/09/14
Great story. thanks for sharing.
08/09/14
Great job of story telling! Well done, well written in content and delivery.

Nicely done!

God bless~
08/11/14
It was an interesting story. It had a good point to it.

I might add a few points for future writing.

I had to laugh at this sentence. “Is there a reason Laura?” a concerned Brent asked dipping his bread stick in the marinara sauce.

I could not envision a concerned Brent. If I just asked someone to marry me and she refused, I couldn't continue eating. I chuckled when you said he dipped his bread stick in the marinara sauce. Didn't look to be so concerned to me!

I was confused in several places. I think some transitional sentences would help guide this story along a little more smoothly and give more clarity.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
08/12/14
I was confused by a "concerned" Brent's dipping his bread stick, as well. His action certainly reinforced his manipulative abusive character, but he isn't the type to be concerned.

Some missing commas, particularly for setting off names in address.

"I'm sorry, Brent."
"Good morning, sugar."

Good story... keep writing.
Nice job! You kept me guessing right up until the end!

I did get confused by Brent's being concerned, but I think it really works well here because it made me wonder why he wasn't more disturbed. Then, when I found out what he was, it all made sense! And it rounds out his character.

If I may, I might also suggest more commas to avoid sentence confusion. "Emphasizing her point, Laura took his ring off...." "Reaching her destination moments before closing, she managed...." A brief pause in a sentence lets the reader breathe without losing the momentum of the action.

At any rate, I enjoyed your story. It kept on track, moving forward, and I thought it had a lot of texture without being slow. Applause!
Good story. I can but echo the great advice written here - these folks know what they are saying. We have all been beginners. So take and enjoy the savvy comments, and know that your potential glows through your great story.
We know we can't always see what God's will for us would be but is this jumping from one frying pan into another?

We will need the second chapter of this story to see if this was a good choice.

The story was easy to read and everything seemed to fit together. I just don't know about her last choice unless she was feeling "lead by the Holy Spirit" to make the choice she did.