The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 960 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
11/07/05
Thanks for this balanced view on something that has torn apart too many churches.

A lyric change that really makes a difference: Mary Mary sang "take the shackles OFF my feet so I can dance..."

Good piece of writing; thanks!
11/08/05
I love the hymns and the new worship songs. Both minister if we allow them too. You did a fine job on bringing balance in a difficult era of churches today. Music begans in the heart.
11/09/05
It's interesting that my brother and I just had this same discusssion. Do you remember "Morning Has Broken" by Cat Stevens? That song was actually written in the 1800's. Old or new, songs are a gift from God.

Pauly
11/10/05
Have to laugh as I am bouncing to dc talk as I type. Thanks for this autobiographical entry.. I enjoyed it! djdeb
what a wonderful entry! As a 41 year old who had the same discussion with my mother and grandmother that you had during my teenaged years when the Winans, and the Clark Sisters first hit the scene and my mother felt some objects to the music. I now have 4 childrens ages 8-18 and we were just discussing this subject on last Sunday. Thank you for this article.
my mother felt objectionable towards the new music not "objects" - oops! :)
11/10/05
Wow! What an article! I really enjoyed reading it. I know exactly what you mean about singing different songs during different phases of one's life. You expressed it well!
The only thing I wonder about is the grammer of how you quoted the songs...I'm not sure the correct way, but maybe it is right..