The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2137 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/18/07
Great Poem!! At first reading I didn't understand that the "writer" was Pilate and failed to make the connection between the thoughts about writing/writer's block and Jesus being crucified on the cross (in the 3rd Stanza). So I guess my only suggestion would be to develop the "who" earlier so as to remove any doubt from the reader's mind, especially when it concerns a "who" that is not normally thought of as a writer. Otherwise, very well written and thoughtful account of that brief passage of Scripture.
01/18/07
Creative twist on the topic.

The lack of rhythm on the last line of the third stanza also throws off the meter.

I like how you show Pilate's struggle with his conscience in his struggle with what to write.
01/19/07
I too wondered who "he" was, but I loved the way it developed. Great work!
01/19/07
I like the fact that you keep the writer unknown to the reader until the third stanza. It's brings an insight that suddenly alters what your reading. I like surpises. I loved yours.
01/20/07
This was a very creative entry. It was that day's poster, wasn't it? Talk about writer's block: how do you express in a word or two who this man is? Everyone disagrees! I really enjoyed this. Excellent work! Your poetry flows out so naturally that you barely notice it's poetry! (I can't even BEGIN to write poetry, so you're ahead of me from the get-go!) Well done!
What a creative take on the topic! I liked the poetry and also liked the mystery of who was writing. One "poetry" suggestion: Use as few words as possible, eliminating repetitive words and words that don't add to the meaning. Other than that, you entry is certainly a good one and a delight to enjoy!
01/21/07
Unique and well told! The subject became clear in the end and I enjoyed it once I knew who you were talking about. Good job.
01/24/07
Good job!
I also didn't realise it was a poem until I started reading the comments. I had to go back and check one more time. This is a plus for a flow.

I liked the suspense of who the writer was. When you finally introduced him, I gasped a pleasant sigh: "Oh yeah!"

And that it was about the Kingship of the Lord Jesus as the finality of what was written, your piece surely left a good taste in my mouth. Well done!!