The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 755 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/14/10
What a moving story (sounds it could be true). Lots of missionaries' children, some left behind in private full-time schools, hate their childhood. Thanks for sharing. I have a friend who often thanks me for counselling her when she went on the mission field that for her, her children should always come before the work.

Thanks

Colin
It is a wonderful reminder of how sometimes the important things in our life get pushed into the background. Thank you for reminding me.
The only critique I have is you committed one of my biggest pet peeves. You said "spends time with his father and I." and it should be my father and me.
But the message was a good one.
01/14/10
A wonderful reminder that the impact we have on our family is far more important than any other work we commit ourselves to! At first, I thought you were going a different direction with the analogy of the chain, but I understood as I read. I was just wondering where the boy got the idea of his family being (or not being) a chain in the first place. But that's probably just me. :) Other than that, AMAZING writing!
01/15/10
Thank you for this piece. As a pastor's wife, I can relate somewhat. You've got me thinking hard--well done.
01/18/10
Thanks for your transparency in sharing this story.

A few minor edits for capitalization issues could help to polish this up a bit. I've started a class in the FaithWriters forums for Beginner and Intermediate writers. I'd love to see you there--look for "Jan's Writing Basics".

I really like your title--it drew me in.
01/20/10
This really drew me in. As a former pastor's wife, I've seen families destroyed in the name of God. So glad you listened...to your son and God...and have that connection.