Interpreting the Challenge Ranking

The Challenge winners will be posted here two weeks after entries close for each topic, and the Highest Ranked entries will be posted sometime later that day or the next.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

I'm sure the info is in the fine print somewhere in one of the Forums, but I've not been able to find the answer. If you're among the top 40 or 15 in your level, does the number entry have an additional implication.

For example: If you're in the top 15 and are listed as #10, does that
indicate you are #10 in the top 15? Or, is there no special meaning to
the number assigned?

Also, what does "hinting" mean :?:

Lillian
Fortunate 500

www.oursilverstrands.com
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Sparrow

Re: Interpreting the Challenge Ranking

Post by Sparrow »

Hi Lillian! :)
The rating can be a little confusing. There are winners each week within each level--and only within the level. So if you were 10 in the top 15 of beginniners, that means of all the beginning level entries, your rating was the 10th highest. Only the top 15 are shown so the lowest few people don't feel badly.

Then there is the top 30 or 40 for all the entries. In that rating the levels are ignored and just the scores are compared. So theoretically the same person could get #10 in beginning level and #18 in the overall rating.

The Editor's Choice awards are given to the top ten in the overall ratings.

Is that clear as mud? ;)

Hinting is a way to encourage more people to comment on challenge entries. Each week the annonymous judging is usually finished several days before the results are actually published on Thursday. So on Monday or around then, when the judging is completely done, Deb will go to the hinting forum and give the "all clear." Then everyone who has entered a story can go and give a hint about their title so the other members of the boards can find it and comment on it.

For example, the "smell" week my title was Lavendar Grace and my hint was something like:

Master's Level. A flower and an atribute of God...sounds almost like a girl's name.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight
oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands »

Thanks Amy,

Is there an actual Forum site for posting your hint? What's it called?
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

Hi Lillian! In answer to your question to Amy, yes, there is. It's under "Writing Challenge", and called "Hinting Time".

Here's a link - the "Hinting" threads usually start off ALL CLEAR for... (topic). Read through a few and you'll see how it's done. (And how fun and rewarding it is.)

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... m.php?f=56

Amy - great explanations of the rankings and hinting! You should be a writer or something! ;)
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

CatLin wrote:Amy - great explanations of the rankings and hinting! You should be a writer or something! ;)
Wow, a writer, huh? Never would have thought of doing that. Thanks!

;)
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Return to “Results and Highest Rankings”