Interested in joining; how does one sign up and submit?

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Toni Star
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Interested in joining; how does one sign up and submit?

Post by Toni Star »

Would like to join and submit my writing. How to do it?

Thanks...
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Hi, Toni--

How wonderful that you found this "class"!

There's absolutely nothing to do to join up--because it's not a 'class' in the usual sense of the word. It's just a topic a week (usually a literary term or device), with a brief explanation and examples from me, and then discussion and more examples from anyone on the boards who cares to submit.

I ran the classes for about a year, during which time the message boards melted down and about half of them disappeared forever. However, you can still access the more recent threads, and you can still input your own thoughts and/or examples.

I plan to start up again in the fall, with a slightly different focus (I haven't quite decided what that will be, yet). I hope you'll jump right in at that point! In the meantime, feel free to check out some of last year's sessions to see what they're like.

Nice to meet you!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Toni Star
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thank you!

Post by Toni Star »

Thank you very much for your reply and I will be checking out past forums..Looking forward to the new fall schedule...

Happy to be here and looking forward to contributing..
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."
pheeweed
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by pheeweed »

Hi Jan,
I've been reading your past lessons and have found them very helpful. Can I make a suggestion for the future? My fiction is still very amateurish and I am learning so much about how to improve it from critiques. But one thing I would like to learn more about is how to describe action. I know "show don't tell," but I think I need more specifics about that and other tips about it. How do I tell what's happening without saying "she did this. Then she did this. Then this happened."
Thanks, Phee
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Phee, thanks for this idea! I definitely plan to start up another class this fall--after the conference, and after my granddaughter is born. I haven't deflinitely decided what the focus of the class will be, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

In the meantime, I'd suggest a quick Google search using the phrase "show don't tell". You'll get lots of hits, and some of them have excellent instruction.

Hope to see you in my cyberclass in the fall!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
pheeweed
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by pheeweed »

Thanks, Jan. I'll be in your class for sure. The biggest thing I've learned since I joined is that I have a LOT to learn.
Phee
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”