Jan's Master Class--SLICE OF LIFE

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Slice of Life

Post by Colswann1 »

Hello there Jan

The link is to a story about a day in Billy's life. It's to do with something he looks forward to each year - baking a Christmas cake with his Gran.

http://faithwriters.com/wc-article-leve ... p?id=26114

Colin
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Very sweet story, Colin. I enjoyed the slice of life, and I'd love a slice of cake!

Thanks for sharing the link!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Soren2007
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Soren2007 »

A fantastic topic. I think this is my default form of writing. Forget about plot, find a sketch or topic, apply it to the page and create mood and voice in literary form. Is there such a thing as "slices of life" or are those called memoirs and then more plot is needed?

I typically see writers (in the challenge) try to give too many details when trying this and the piece can become dry. I typically skip too many details as my favorite mistake and then if you aren't in my head - or were not there when I came up with the sketch - well you'll wish you had been because the mood and voice might be good but you'll probably be frustrated cuz its lack of information left you unfulfilled. There's a fine balance to this form of writing for sure - still looking for it myself but like the outline in this lesson. Thanks, Jan.
“Get to work. Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair.” ~Dillard.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Thanks, Tom!

I'm not sure about 'slices of life'. Seems to me that's a novel. Or, as you say, a memoir.
CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

glorybee wrote:You realize, don't you, that I pick these topics specifically to make you root through your old stories? My next topic will be "Stories that use the word "the" too frequently", and you'll have to pore through them all, counting the "the"s.

Muahhhhaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa.

One of my challenge entries actually contains NO "the's". I challenged myself by searching out the word and not using it. (Ok, really, I was looking for a way to cut words - I also eliminated every "that") I wish I could remember which one it was. I guess I'll have to read them all again and find it as "anti-homework" for the next lesson. hee hee.

My homework: I think this one qualifies as a "slice of life"?
"I Lay Me Down in Peace, and Sleep".

The "story" came to me, believe it or not, as I was laying down to sleep for the night, wondering what in the world I could write for "Calm", and trying to calm my brain down enough to sleep. Not very deep, huh? I was stunned when it won 1st in Advanced and an EC!! It was one of the easiest entries I've ever written.
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Catrina, that's a BEAUTIFUL slice of life, and no surprise at all that it did so well. Thanks so much for the link.

I'd love to read a 'the-less' story! That sounds like a really fun challenge, actually; maybe we should do something like that for a mini-challenge between quarters.

I've heard of a whole novel written without the letter E. Now THAT would be difficult.

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”