GRAMMARLY...anybody familiar with it?

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

DMW
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

GRAMMARLY...anybody familiar with it?

Post by DMW »

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about GRAMMARLY?

A website program that allows you to copy/paste your work, and then it will give you a critique/feedback on mistakes within it.

There is a monthly charge of, I think, $7 or so, dollars a month.

I belong to an amazing Buddy Group, and they help me tremdously, but having a program like this would keep me from driving them crazy.. :tongue

Or do any of you know of another program that does the same thing, but better/cheaper? even Free? (I love FREE)

, :thankssign in advance for your help.
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: GRAMMARLY...anybody familiar with it?

Post by Anja »

I've not ever heard of Grammarly. (But I don't get out much. :wink: )

I'm sure you're not driving your buddy group crazy. That's what they're there for!
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
DMW
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DMW »

:thankssign Anja!

You don't know just how bad I am at this stuff... :heehee

I wonder if my Buddies would agree with you? :wink: LOL

Thanks again,
Be blessed!
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

Bam!
Appears we do have that in common but the nice folks here don't mind.
Thank God and thanks all.
I right there with a... :mrgreen:
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
Jacky
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Jacky »

I used grammarly for a bit. The thing to remember is that it is just checking grammar, and to check out what it is correcting in terms of your writing.

I prefer autocrit. However I just looked back at grammarly, and realised they do different things, so maybe they could be quite useful together.

I once wrote a booklet for a tutorial school that was edited by a woman who had perfect grammar. The trouble is, she made complete nonsense of the booklet, and in her wording the booklet was not suited to students of a tutorial school - leaving me and another person with the task of re-doing the book in a style to suit the students. I would imagine that is the effect of grammarly or autocrit. May help, may not, but better than not using them at all.

Of course a real life editor would be wonderful....

Jacky
http://jesusheals.org.uk(Message board for Christians suffering from domestic violence issue-where I put what I write on that subject.)

[
DMW
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DMW »

:thankssign for the info Jackie!

I have wonderful Challenge buddies, but I would like to do a little of work on my own, before giving to them for a final critique.

I'll check out Autocrit too.

Thanks again!
DMW
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DMW »

Oh..Jacky :oops: sorry for the spelling of your name wrong..
Jacky
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Jacky »

Somebody who spelled my name wrong thought it mattered..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have spent my life telling people about my name because it is spelt Jackalyn in full and you do not get that here in England. In fact I think the three other people with the name are on my facebook, and I have always been Jacky with a y in protest at my many Great Aunts and Uncles who for no apparent reason decided I was Jackie-Ann. Even the Vicar at my Christening tried to tell my parents they could not spell.

Both Autocrit and Grammarly have free options. That will not tell you how to correct anything, but if you are hard up it gives you some idea. On balance, I paid for autocrit. You do need to be sure that any program you use is looking at the kind of English you are writing in. American and English-English are just not the same. American and English spelling are also different at times.

The other thing that is useful is the add- on in Open Office, which I prefer to Word anyway. It gives you instant readability reports and so on which is very useful. I expect there is the same kind of thing in Word.

If you are using the KJV in your text it is best to take that out before you do the analysis as the programs will analyse that as well. Half the time, if I do not do that, then I find the problems the program is picking up is the wording of the KJV. Yesterday the Open Office add on seemed to be telling me the longest and worst sentence was one of my Bible favourites!

I wish there was a programme that looked at book formatting. When I finally get a template right in open office anyone who is on FW can have it for free. (Will work with LULU.)

I wish all these aids had been around and PC's too when I wrote my Anthropology dissertation! I can't think how I wrote all those words by hand, and without any 'helps' at all, apart from a Grammar text book. I am currently feeling very annoyed with someone writing their dissertation and thinking how hard it is. It would have been so easy with all these things to help, and I would not have had to ask the woman who typed it manually to go back and correct all the words she 'corrected' which were right in the first place!
http://jesusheals.org.uk(Message board for Christians suffering from domestic violence issue-where I put what I write on that subject.)

[

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”