And and Then, and spacing after period...

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

And and Then, and spacing after period...

Post by jo555 »

Back in my school days I was taught that there should be two spaces after the period at the end of a sentence. That was many years ago and I have been faithful to abide by it for the most of my life, as it pertained to the written word.

I don't think that rule applies anymore. I still like it, just not sure if I should always use it. Any input on that, like word of mouth on preferences and such?

Furthermore, I also learned that one should not start a sentence with words like "and" and "then". I've also looked to avoid it, unless in a short story and conversing in it too.

I think it is ok to use it at the beginning of a sentence in a longer story, just probably not favorable to use it excessively that way.

Yes?

Thanks in advance!
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
glorybee

Re: And and Then, and spacing after period...

Post by glorybee »

jo555 wrote:Back in my school days I was taught that there should be two spaces after the period at the end of a sentence. That was many years ago and I have been faithful to abide by it for the most of my life, as it pertained to the written word.

I don't think that rule applies anymore. I still like it, just not sure if I should always use it. Any input on that, like word of mouth on preferences and such?

Furthermore, I also learned that one should not start a sentence with words like "and" and "then". I've also looked to avoid it, unless in a short story and conversing in it too.

I think it is ok to use it at the beginning of a sentence in a longer story, just probably not favorable to use it excessively that way.

Yes?

Thanks in advance!
The "two spaces after a period" rule was back when we used typewriters. With computers, it's not necessary; in fact, if you're submitting something for publication, they prefer only one space after a period. When you leave two, it sometimes creates "rivers" of white space trickling down the page.

If you find it difficult to get used to using only one space, go ahead and type your document as usual--then use the "find and replace" function when the whole document is finished, and replace all of your [space space] with [space], all at one time.

Starting a sentence with a conjunction is permissible when done intentionally, for literary effect or in order to create your "writer's voice". It's a style choice, and good writers work on ways to do it well. Additionally, intentional sentence fragments can help with pacing.

You're far more likely to find sentences beginning with "and" or "but" (or similar words) in contemporary or literary fiction than in nonfiction writing or in more traditional fiction. And of course, it's quite common (and very acceptable) in dialogue.

Hope that was helpful for you!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

Absolutely! Thanks again! So helpful here...I am grateful!
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
helen1975
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by helen1975 »

Well this was a very successful find!

Firstly, I was searching for the answer to starting sentences with And or But. Does the rule still apply to "Because" or is this still frowned upon? For example:

"The number of readers has dropped dramatically in recent days and the library is finding it difficult to fund its programs. Because of this we will be starting..."

In this context is it okay to use "Because" or would something like "As a result of this decline in membership..." be more suitable?

Another word I was admonished for using at the start of a sentence (at University) is "However" but I am confused as to why this is a problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Secondly, I was not aware of the 2-space rule being canned for computers! Even in this post I am double spacing after the full stop (period); this is going to take some time to re-learn! :roll: :)

Blessings, Helen
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

Yes, you may start a sentence with because, but you must make sure you do not have a sentence fragment. You must have an independent clause. An independent clause must form a complete sentence by itself.

Because there were no more Oreos.

Sentence fragment. Incorrect.

Because there were no more Oreos, lunch was a dismal failure. Correct. The independent clause, lunch was a dismal failure, is a complete sentence on its own.

To do a quick test, switch it around.

Lunch was a dismal failure because there were no more Oreos.

It is a complete sentence.

The same is true for however.

However, lunch was a dismal failure because there were no more Oreos.

The rule of not using "because" at the beginning of a sentence came about (probably) because of the tendency to leave the statement as a sentence fragment. So why not just make an overarching rule. The end of the problem.

However, for dialogue, go ahead. It's how we talk.

"Why was that luncheon so terrible?" moaned Ann.
"Because there were no more Oreos," complained Chris.

I don't even care for Oreos. Now, Nanaimo bars, we're talking seriously good stuff.

Start practicing the single space. Your fingers will learn quickly.
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
helen1975
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by helen1975 »

Thanks for the clarification on these.

Because of the clarifications, writing has suddenly become much easier! :)

As for Nanaimo bars . . . I just googled them and oh boy, I am in trouble! They look amazing! I might just have to try and find a recipe for them I think!

Blessings,

Helen
pcimeisr
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by pcimeisr »

Great tip. I was wondering why I kept getting the critique "spacing". I guess my typewriting days clouded my desire to find the truth, and the truth set me free. Whoopee!
Shann

Post by Shann »

I wonder if some of your comments about spacing weren't as much about the spaces between sentences but between paragraphs.

Along with the old two spaces, indenting is old too, especially for online reading. Instead of indenting, double space between paragraphs to give the reader more white space.

It will look more like this and is easier on the eyes. Also t to sometimes people ramble on and forgets to start a new paragraph when someone new speaks.

Raising my eyebrows, I sighed. Do you really think I ramble too much?"

After stifling a sigh. I opened my mouth, and then closed ig, mashing my lips together.

Here are some of my favorite resources: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/great-in ... on-debate/

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/paragraphs.htm

http://practicaltypography.com/first-line-indents.html
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Sibermom65 »

Substituting no indentation for two spaces between paragraphs doesn't happen in the books I've read on my e-reader. Perhaps that depends on the publisher? Also, what if you are writing for a print book - or a book that will be both hard copy and electronic? Then what?
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Sibermom65 wrote:Substituting no indentation for two spaces between paragraphs doesn't happen in the books I've read on my e-reader. Perhaps that depends on the publisher? Also, what if you are writing for a print book - or a book that will be both hard copy and electronic? Then what?
The block style is really best for online, not for print. I always advise my editing clients to use indentations and to double space, without putting an extra white space between paragraphs. This is for anything that will be printed, and as you said, for e-readers as well. I only see the block style in blogs, forums (such as this one), emails, and social media. Not for long bits of reading.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”