JustFiction Edition

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

rsclark
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

JustFiction Edition

Post by rsclark »

JustFiction contacted me about publishing some work. I was skeptical (and curious), and after research and further contact with them, I still don't have clear answers. Here's the questions I sent to them:

Since you are located in Europe, how would I be paid royalties?
Would these payments be issued through a European or an American bank?
How often could I expect payment?
What kind of marketing could I expect from JustFiction?

Here is the response I received:

Royalties shall be calculated once every twelve months for the preceding year. The statement shall be made available to the Author for downloading from the Author's personal author account within the Publisher's web site application. The Author may download the relevant royalty credit notes from the Publisher's web site application for a period of eight weeks from the date of the statement.The

Author shall receive a royalty fee for each print copy sold and paid for the amount of 10% of the revenue earned by the Publisher less value added tax (which shall correspond to the Publisher- determined or recommended net retail price in euros, less a calculated bookseller discount of 50%). For each e-book copy sold and paid for, the Author shall receive a royalty fee to the amount of 10 % of the revenue earned by the Publisher less value added tax (which shall correspond to the Publisher – determined or recommended net retail price in euros, less a calculate bookseller discount of 50%).

Regarding marketing issues, I would like to clarify that JFE enters your title in a number of catalogs (Amazon is the most widely known). We are also partners with the leading book wholesalers and retailers in the book industry in North America and in the UK. We have marketing contracts with LIGHTNING SOURCE, INGRAM, and many other global wholesalers. This way we reach 10,000 retail accounts in the U.S. (including chains, independents, specialty stories, and libraries). All print-on demand titles are automatically added to account data feeds through Ingram. For example, when your title is entered into the JFE library it will automatically appear in the bookstore and library databases which use the Ingram feed database to update their information. While accounts are organizing that information to suit their customers' habits (i.e. identify an International Section), they become aware of the availability of the title through the Ingram database. We deliver our titles to accounts through Lightning's extensive distribution network. A title available at Lightning is accessible to retailers and libraries - large or small. We also have marketing and distribution partnerships with Baker & Taylor, Matthews Medical, NACSCORP, and Bertrams. We will be happy to provide free review copies for anyone who would like to report about your title as well.
When we receive requests for review copies from press, we always send free copies to them. Finally, as we are a new company, we are constantly improving our activities. For the time being we have set up a JustFiction! Edition facebook fan page, which is regularly updated with new information, also we are in the process of setting up a blog for JustFiction! Edition intended to popularize the books we publish.

So if anyone can explain to me the 10% less value added tax, then please do. My interpretation is 10% less anything I can get away with charging you.
R
Jer. 29:11
Christian, mom, writer
Beach Reads
A Dining Room Education
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: JustFiction Edition

Post by Deb Porter »

There seem to be quite a lot of people asking about this mob. Seems a lot of people have received the same email.

They are making use of the print on demand and e-book technologies, which has led to many, many, many subsidy/vanity press publishers springing up. They aren't charging the author, so they aren't subsidy press, but they are vanity press.

I assume they are doing a Publish America. In other words, they'll publish anything on the expectation that they will make their money through sales of the author's book (usually to the author, and the author's family and friends).

Anyone opting for this will be immediately tainted with the vanity press stigma, and they would be far better just doing it themselves through Lulu (provided they have spent time getting reader feedback on the manuscript and then had it professionally edited. The last thing this over-saturated market needs is another slapped together book).

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

My opinion is backed up by the wonderful Victoria Strauss (author of the Writer Beware blog):

http://accrispin.blogspot.com.au/2011/0 ... ition.html

The Just Fiction information is on that page.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

rsclark
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rsclark »

That's what my best friend and I determined. Then I sent the questions that were never really answered.

I did find some of their books on Amazon, but that doesn't mean anything. Amazon has a self-publishing arm.

Any publisher who can't give you a straight answer to a question you ask, aren't worth your time.

Any publisher who finds you online and does not come from a reputable lead or reference, should be closely scrutinized. Those are generally the ones that are fly-by-night. These people found me and I'd never heard of them before.
R
Jer. 29:11
Christian, mom, writer
Beach Reads
A Dining Room Education

Return to “Forewarned is Forearmed”