BiblicalSleep.com, Ben Briggs...legit?

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

AutumnTen
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

BiblicalSleep.com, Ben Briggs...legit?

Post by AutumnTen »

I posted this on the Open Forum earlier because I wasn't sure which was the better place to put it.
I got a PM from a Ben Briggs about research/writing work for a website being created called BiblicalSleep.com. There is no real site at this point,
just a page that says coming soon with a pdf link for the job description.
It's supposed to be a new Christian Ministry website to help people with sleep disorders through biblical reference and article writing about it.
Has anyone ever heard of Ben Briggs or other Christian websites or ministries he may be associated with? If you go to BiblicalSleep.com you can click on the job link and see what they're asking for.
They want you to study a book they provide, then bible references to sleep, and then write content associating the two for the website.
Not so sure about what this book might be and why they want to compare it to the Bible.
I was also trying to see if anybody else got the same PM or they somehow took an interest in me for whatever reason.
Don't know if I want to reply to it or not, but it might be something I could manage despite all the other stuff I have going on right now, and I could use the money. On the other hand I don't want to get into something I'll regret (in more ways than one.)
deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by deejay »

Yeah, that sounds a bit fishy to me--why would he advertise a website that isn't up yet? And why is he asking you to compare his book to the Bible? Nearly all Scriptures dealing with sleep say that the righteous will enjoy sweet sleep, and that God speaks to His people--and some who are not His people--through dreams and visions. There really isn't a whole lot on sleep in the Bible that you could put together a lot of content on it. If so, it would be the job of one person.

You have to be careful of things like that. There are ads in the Pennysaver, etc. saying you can make lots of money stuffing envelopes, or working for the post office, or doing other stuff like home assembly, but they're all scams. Anyone who's owned their own business can tell you, you have to put in a lot of hours and hard work before you make what those scam ads promise.

I'd run his name through a Google search, but there's a chance it's too common. I say, back off on this one. Remember, in the Garden of Eden God was the source of everything, knowledge included, for Adam and Eve, but Satan came and told them, "You eat this forbidden fruit and you'll be like God, knowing everything." That could be considered the beginning of the self-help movement. God is your source; all the money in the world is His, anyway. He has the cattle on a thousand hills, and is the source of wealth. All you need is provided by Jehovah-Jireh, God your Provider. I know--He's provided for me again and again.
AutumnTen
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by AutumnTen »

Yeah, I've seen those things about stuffing envelopes, etc.
I know about those scams.
I have to say I was surprised to get the offer, but was hoping it was something good. Dub replied on the Open Forum that it sounds like somebody looking for free research, and that was my thought as well.
There's no guarantee of payment, and the location is not shown either.
There's also a note about all content becoming thier property, (translation;
your hard work, they take all the credit.)
I thought of the Google search too, and yes, the name is too common. Other guys with that name came up, but no ministries or affiliations and nothing about the website.
I hate to think I'm being preyed upon, but maybe that's what's going on.
Well, I've got news for Ben Briggs. I'm too smart for that. Evil hasn't gotten me yet, and I don't intend to start being a victim now.
I think what really bothers me about this the most is the intent to use Jesus, as if to put words in His mouth, to endorse this site, which is probably just a lure to try to get people to buy things (probably their overpriced book.)
What a shame.
I can only hope a legit offer comes my way one of these days.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

There are legit offers. Just because FW is a Christian site, not everyone who stumbles across it is. I have gotten paid work through the PM service, but it was in response at first for a non-paid job. Before I finished the non-paid job, they offered me a paid job.

As with everything, you have to do your research.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
deejay

Post by deejay »

This morning the passage "make merchandise of you" came to mind, so I looked it up. II Pet. 2:3. In the NKJV: " By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber."

In the KJV: "And through covetousness (greed) shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a longtime lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not (condemnation will occur)."

This is speaking of false teachers, but I can't see why this can't apply to people who pretend to be Christians in order to rip people off. I once heard of this fellow who got ripped off by a so-called handyman, whose truck was plastered with Christian bumperstickers. The fellow who got ripped off said that he thought if a guy was that religious, he ought to be trustworthy. I also think this is covered by what Jesus said about wolves in sheep's clothing. Deception in all its forms is from Satan, anyway.
AutumnTen
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by AutumnTen »

RedBaron wrote:There are legit offers. Just because FW is a Christian site, not everyone who stumbles across it is. I have gotten paid work through the PM service, but it was in response at first for a non-paid job. Before I finished the non-paid job, they offered me a paid job.

As with everything, you have to do your research.
You're sure right about that, Shari. I tend to be on the cautious side anyway. The internet can be a wonderful thing, and not so wonderful, depending. Oh well. Here's hoping to better luck next time.

Return to “Forewarned is Forearmed”