When is a Question Not a Question?

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

When is a Question Not a Question?

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan, I sometimes get confused as to whether or not a sentence I've written requires a question mark. The following sounds more like a statement, but is it a question?

"I was wondering if you've been to this place before, because I wanted to know if they have Wi-Fi.

Jan
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Re: When is a Question Not a Question?

Post by glorybee »

lish1936 wrote:Jan, I sometimes get confused as to whether or not a sentence I've written requires a question mark. The following sounds more like a statement, but is it a question?

"I was wondering if you've been to this place before, because I wanted to know if they have Wi-Fi.
What a great question! I see this all the time when I'm editing, and it almost always is some construction featuring the word 'wonder.'

Even though there's an uncertainty in the mind of the speaker, this is not a question. Your instincts were right. This is a statement, and you'd put a period at the end.

A possible alternate construction, if you wanted it to be a question:

I was wondering--have you been to this place before? Because I wanted to know if they have wifi.

A question really needs to have one of those words that signals a question ('have,' in the above example, but there are many others: do, is, what...there's quite a list, actually).
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
oursilverstrands

Re: When is a Question Not a Question?

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan wrote:A question really needs to have one of those words that signals a question ('have,' in the above example, but there are many others: do, is, what...there's quite a list, actually).
Thanks, Jan, for the answer and the rationale behind it. :D

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”