What's in a Title?

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

What's in a Title?

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan,

I know that certain words in a title are written in lower case, but is there a cardinal rule or list to determine which words?

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Re: What's in a Title?

Post by glorybee »

lish1936 wrote:Jan,

I know that certain words in a title are written in lower case, but is there a cardinal rule or list to determine which words?

Lillian
A general rule would be to keep articles (a, an, the), small conjunctions (and, so...), and small prepositions (for, by, on, to...) lower case. That's not a complete list, and I don't think there's a definitive list, because sometimes a small word may be significant in the title and need to be capitalized.

Different styles are preferred by different publications, however. Some capitalize every word, and others only capitalize the first word and proper nouns.

If you're publishing for yourself, or for a publication or site that doesn't have a preferred style, use your best judgment. If you're uneasy about your choices, you wouldn't be wrong to capitalize every word.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: What's in a Title?

Post by Deb Porter »

The simplest is to use the Associated Press style. It has the least rules. Here is the list of words you use lower case for:

a
an
and
at
but
by
for
in
nor
of
on
or
so
the
to
up
yet

The Chicago Manual of Style is more complicated, so I stick with the above list and stay consistent.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”