I REALLY Tried :-)

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

I REALLY Tried :-)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan, I really searched the Forum to avoid having to ask this question; the answer lies buried in my memory and refuses to be resurrected. The only post that came close was a discussion about proper nouns ending in "s" and how to make them plural. My question is not that, but this:

When I want to make Bryant plural on my computer, I add an "s". The computer wants me to write it as Bryant's. Why, when I'm referring to more than one Bryant?

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Re: I REALLY Tried :-)

Post by glorybee »

lish1936 wrote:Jan, I really searched the Forum to avoid having to ask this question; the answer lies buried in my memory and refuses to be resurrected. The only post that came close was a discussion about proper nouns ending in "s" and how to make them plural. My question is not that, but this:

When I want to make Bryant plural on my computer, I add an "s". The computer wants me to write it as Bryant's. Why, when I'm referring to more than one Bryant?

Lillian
First, you really don't need to spend time searching for a thread that might hold the answer to your questions. It's just not worth the bother--especially since I don't mind answering them in the least.

The simple answer to your question is that computers aren't intelligent. It's probably more common to have a possessive Bryant than a plural Bryant, so the spellcheck or grammar check software is programmed to suggest that. It just underscores the importance of not taking one's computer's suggestions as absolutely correct.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
oursilverstrands

Re: I REALLY Tried :-)

Post by oursilverstrands »

:thankssign Jan. It didn't make sense, and now I know why. :D

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”