Be a Better Writer--WORKING WITH AN EDITOR

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

glorybee

Re: Be a Better Writer--WORKING WITH AN EDITOR

Post by glorybee »

Shann wrote:I'll take a portion of the MS and only do the basic editing. Then in the next section, I'll give an example of how it might flow better or how to tighten a piece up. If the piece needs a soft rewrite (in my opinion) I'll give an example of that as well. I often will include both raw and clean copies too so the author can get a better feel of how it reads with my suggestions. I'd say a good 90% of the time, after seeing the clean copy, the author wants to go with what I call a detailed edit or what you might call substantive. They still have the final say in everything, though.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of people I work with have little to no writing experience. Often they will share their testimonies and someone tells them you should write a book. But they don't have any experience writing nor belong to any writing groups like FW. It's mainly for someone going through what I call a vanity press. They just want to be published.

If I can find a sample of it and the person doesn't mind, I'll post it here to show you want I mean.
By "basic editing," do you mean proofreading, or something else?

And do you do all of those different things (basic editing, tightening, soft re-write, raw copy, clean copy) for free?

It's not necessary to post an example; I was just curious. Thanks.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Shann

Post by Shann »

Basic editing is a tiny bit more than proofreading, but not much. I have a difficult time doing what one publishing company I work for calls basic editing because, like you mentioned, pretty much everything needs more than that.

I do the samples for free (though I've been encouraging some publishing companies I've worked with to offer a service of a critique of a sample writing with suggestions on what the author might want to do next like a detailed edit or a ghostwriter, but it hasn't really been understood). I've had people offer to pay me for this sample, but most of the time I offer to do it for free and then when they are ready for their book to be edited, I ask them to consider having me do it if they like my samples.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Thanks for the explanation, Shann.
Vonnie
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Vonnie »

I just found out that Word 2010 starter does not include Track Changes, so I will have to upgrafe to get it. I watched it on YouTube and seems like a great tool. Thanks.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Vonnie wrote:I just found out that Word 2010 starter does not include Track Changes, so I will have to upgrafe to get it. I watched it on YouTube and seems like a great tool. Thanks.
I use OpenOffice and it has it, and it's free :D
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
HISsparrow
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by HISsparrow »

Thank you so much for this list. It will help a lot should I ever get to that stage. :)
Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Sibermom65 »

Your wonderfully helpful post makes me realize that I need an editor. How does one find one - just run your finger down the list and choose blindly or are there suggestions as how to select one?
Also I understand that costs very widely, but is there some sort of ballpark range you can give to help a writer plan a budget?
For example, consider a 15,000 word MS - what might be a reasonable range for light editing? Medium? Heavy?
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Sibermom65 wrote:Your wonderfully helpful post makes me realize that I need an editor. How does one find one - just run your finger down the list and choose blindly or are there suggestions as how to select one?
Also I understand that costs very widely, but is there some sort of ballpark range you can give to help a writer plan a budget?
For example, consider a 15,000 word MS - what might be a reasonable range for light editing? Medium? Heavy?
If you're going with one of the FW editors from the linked page, read through their descriptions and see which one most closely matches your needs. Contact a few and describe your project to start the dialogue. You might want to ask if they do a small free sample to see if you mesh well.

If you're going with a non-FW editor, you could do the same, really. Additionally, ask other writers for recommendations.

I'm reluctant to post prices here, as they may vary widely from editor to editor, depending on their experience (among other factors). I'll PM you with some possible amounts.
alanrkane
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by alanrkane »

I have to pay my editor with cups of tea.

Or if really hard, doing the ironing

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”