Jan's New Writing Lessons--TIGHT WRITING

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Caleb Cheong
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Jan's New Writing Lessons--TIGHT WRITING

Post by Caleb Cheong »

Hi Jan!

Thank you very much for your helpful input!

Regards
Caleb Cheong
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Caleb Cheong »

Hi Jan!

Is sound bite writing related to tight writing? What are the characteristics of sound bites? Is sentence length an important criterion here?

Thank you
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Caleb Cheong wrote:Hi Jan!

Is sound bite writing related to tight writing? What are the characteristics of sound bites? Is sentence length an important criterion here?

Thank you
Caleb, this is something I don't know anything about. If someone else would like to tackle this question, I don't object; otherwise, I'll research it when I get home from my vacation (Thursday)
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Walkerbunch
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Walkerbunch »

Thanks Jan and Shann,
I'm still so new to this site that I forgot my way to the forum, and was happily surprised to find your replies tonight, 6 pages in!
Thanks for those tips. I spotted the adverbs and yes, it was laid on a bit thick. :D
I mainly do my FW exploration and writing from my bed on an iPad, which doesn't have italics. I had an idea that I'd read somewhere that italics were discouraged, along with underlining, bold, different fonts etc., so that the writing itself could do the speaking. I noticed that on Challenge entries, italics are not possible. Perhaps this is just a feature exclusive to the Challenge? Anyway, "formatting" writing is quite new to me, so I'm interested to know about it.
I'm just off to follow that link, thanks Shann.
I so appreciate your responses, and the fact that you seem to check every day!

Love Ruth
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Walkerbunch wrote:I had an idea that I'd read somewhere that italics were discouraged, along with underlining, bold, different fonts etc., so that the writing itself could do the speaking. I noticed that on Challenge entries, italics are not possible. Perhaps this is just a feature exclusive to the Challenge?
You're right that extensive use of formatting (like bold, underline, etc.) isn't encouraged for the Writing Challenge, but it's possible to italicize, and that's not discouraged. You have to use HTML formatting which seems difficult at first, but isn't really that bad once you're used to it.

If I want to italicize the word 'love' in the following sentence...

I really love going to Florida.

...I'd type it like this:

I really <i>love</i> going to Florida.

...and it would show up like this in the Challenge:

I really love going to Florida.

Be sure to preview before you hit 'submit,' because if you type any of the characters wrong, the italics won't work.
Athayde
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Athayde »

Hi, Jan! After some shortcuts, I'm back :D

Here is my attempt on this one. I tightened it to 76 words, but I'm not sure if it worked:

Doreen stuck to her book while the train clacked through the stations. She shouldered the window and moved her thigh from the big man sitting at her side. This man is too close to me...

Before Doreen stopping, the train screeched and halted in a tunnel. Doreen looked at the man, and at the only flickering light overhead. Panicked, she couldn't breathe and chocked.

"Are you alright, Ma'am? Eased the man. Please, hold my hand.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Athayde wrote:Hi, Jan! After some shortcuts, I'm back :D

Here is my attempt on this one. I tightened it to 76 words, but I'm not sure if it worked:

Doreen stuck to her book while the train clacked through the stations. She shouldered the window and moved her thigh from the big man sitting at her side. This man is too close to me...

Before Doreen stopping, the train screeched and halted in a tunnel. Doreen looked at the man, and at the only flickering light overhead. Panicked, she couldn't breathe and chocked.

"Are you alright, Ma'am? Eased the man. Please, hold my hand.
I'm going to give you another shot at this--you can add 24 words back in, since you get exactly 100 words. I really appreciate your effort!
Athayde
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Athayde »

Jan, I just loved this daring lesson! Here's my second try:

Doreen didn't stop reading her book while the subway clacked through the stations. She shouldered the window and moved her thigh away from the big and blue-jeaned man sitting at her side. This man is too close to me...

Before Doreen's stopping, there were still five long tunnels. On the second one, the train screeched and came to a halt. Doreen looked up at the only flickering light overhead, and at the man. She panicked... lost her breath, and chocked.

The man gaped at her--and with a soft voice--eased, "Are you alright, Ma'am? Do you wanna hold my hand?

(Is it right to use those ellipses--three dots and the hidden 'she'--in that sentence? I've seen/thought/maybe learned about it in your Pacing class discussion about your marvelous story, Sacrament. In my level, just a try... :roll:)
Last edited by Athayde on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athayde
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Athayde »

Correcting: The discussion over your article, Sacrament, is in the Sentence Structures (The End) class that I'm studying now.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Athayde wrote:Jan, I just loved this daring lesson! Here's my second try:

Doreen didn't stop reading her book while the subway clacked through the stations. She shouldered the window and moved her thigh away from the big and blue-jeaned man sitting at her side. This man is too close to me...

Before Doreen's stopping, there were still five long tunnels. On the second one, the train screeched and came to a halt. Doreen looked up at the only flickering light overhead, and at the man. She panicked... lost her breath, and chocked.

The man gaped at her--and with a soft voice--eased, "Are you alright, Ma'am? Do you wanna hold my hand?

(Is it right to use those ellipses--three dots and the hidden 'she'--in that sentence? I've seen/thought/maybe learned about it in your Pacing class discussion about your marvelous story, Sacrament. In my level, just a try... :roll:)
This is a superb tightening of the original story! Yes, the ellipses and the hidden 'she' are totally fine, and show a maturity in writing. The only things I'd tweak would be the spelling of 'choked' (no 'c' before the 'k') and the word 'eased' in the last paragraph. 'Eased' isn't typically used in a dialogue tag, and doesn't work particularly well there.

Other than that, you've done very well!
Athayde
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Athayde »

Here's my correction, Jan:

She panicked... lost her breath, and choked.

The man gaped at her--and with a soft voice--said, "Are you alright Ma'am? Do you wanna hold my hand?

Thank you so much for this lesson. God bless you.

(no need to reply)
sarita2
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by sarita2 »

Doreen kept her eyes glued to her book as the subway clacked through endless stations. A few stops ago a large man had sat next to her and she had been inching away from him in annoyance ever since. As the train entered another tunnel, Doreen frowned and jabbed her finger into her book to mark her place. Suddenly, still in darkness, the train screeched to a halt. The flickering tube overhead provided the only source of light. Doreen felt herself choke in panic. Just then, the man next to her whispered hesitantly, “Ma’am, would you hold my hand, please?”
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

sarita2 wrote:Doreen kept her eyes glued to her book as the subway clacked through endless stations. A few stops ago a large man had sat next to her and she had been inching away from him in annoyance ever since. As the train entered another tunnel, Doreen frowned and jabbed her finger into her book to mark her place. Suddenly, still in darkness, the train screeched to a halt. The flickering tube overhead provided the only source of light. Doreen felt herself choke in panic. Just then, the man next to her whispered hesitantly, “Ma’am, would you hold my hand, please?”
Well done, Sarita!

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”