Scripture Rules for Writing

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

tate
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Scripture Rules for Writing

Post by tate »

Hello, is there an article that's available for Rules on Scripture? I need an overview. I am writing an article on Solomon and I'm telling the story in my own words, not quoting the Scripture. But, I need to note the Scripture just in case the reader wants to look it up. I'm not sure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated!
helen1975
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Scripture Rules for Writing

Post by helen1975 »

Hi Tate,

I'm not certain of the academic rules, but if it was me I would probably use a footnote referencing system. For example, if a paragraph described his asking for wisdom, you could end with a (1) and in the footnote include (1) 1 Kings 3. As you were paraphrasing/using your own words I would think there would be no need to include any version in particular.

I hope this is helpful for you; hopefully some others might have some further info/advice for you. All the best, it sounds very interesting.

Blessings,

Helen

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”