flashback

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Kristen Hester
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

flashback

Post by Kristen Hester »

glorybee wrote: Now, about "Lost"--can you believe we have to wait until winter to find out WHERE IS THE ISLAND???? It's drivin' me nuts.
:cry2 Me too! According to one thing I read, it's in the same place, just moved forward in time.

My Profile

Teach your child like he will be here forever but love your child like it is his last day.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Tom, I've never seen "Big Fish", but this is the 2nd time in a week that I've had it highly recommended. Guess I'll have to check it out!

I didn't know you write scripts--did I? Oh wait, I remember a Genesis one...I take that back.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
sirwilliam57
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by sirwilliam57 »

I've been taking medicaine to combat Flashbacks :). :D
Anyhoot, I do believe a few of my entries did contain some flashbacks. In "A Soul's Last breath" I believed I flashed back to the victim's son's court appearance. I also believe I have written mostly in flashback in some stories and then shot back to the present in the end.
Anyway, I'm just basically saying hello and rambling.
God bless,
bill
...fiction never exceeds the reach of the writer’s courage

JESUS IS LORD!

Wm. Price

My Profile: http://sirwilliamslilblogaboutblogables ... gspot.com/
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Joanne, I think you did it exactly right with Akiva's Assignment. Arranging the sequence of events they way you did enabled you to start with a great hook, and it wasn't in the least bit confusing. Thanks for reminding us of this extremely creative story!
CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

How about a TV example for my assignment - Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode about going to India for a wedding? It was entirely told in flashbacks - one after another. It started at the end of the story, then flashed back, then back again, and again, until the episode ended at the beginning of the story.
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

I remember that one! Hilarious, and a bit of genius on the part of the writers.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Cori, I'll have to check those out!

I remember Christian Bale from one of his earliest roles--in a Disney musical called "Newsies" where he played a turn-of-the-century newsboy embroiled in a labor uprising. Sounds weird, I know--but it was a great movie! My girls and I used to watch it all the time when they were in junior high, and I'm sure they had crushes on him. But not me. Oh, no.
CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

Thanks Cori - I thought there was a movie like that and couldn't remember it. I loved Momento. I haven't seen The Machinist, but from the link it sounds good. I didn't read too much - didn't want anything spoiled. :D
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
Soren2007
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Soren2007 »

If you’re a fan of the TV show “Lost”, then you’re very aware of the power of flashbacks. For the first 3 seasons of that show, every episode featured a pre-crash flashback of one major character. By watching the flashbacks, we understood (a little bit—nothing is ever fully understood on that show) why those characters acted the way they did.
After your review of Lost in another thread, I finally started watching them and Kris and I are hooked. I'm still about 5 episodes from finishing Season 4, so don't go ruining it for me.

At the end of season 3, there is the first "flash_______" --- is this a clue for next week's lesson?
“Get to work. Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair.” ~Dillard.
ChWriter
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Jan's Master Class-FLASHBACK

Post by ChWriter »

Ok, but where is the story.
glorybee

Re: Jan's Master Class-FLASHBACK

Post by glorybee »

ChWriter, I don't understand your question. Which post are you referring to?

This is a very old thread--I always welcome new contributors, but when I haven't visited the thread for months, it's not easy to keep track of what's been written here. Can you copy and paste from the post that you have a question about, to help me out?

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”