Share the Love by Leaving Feedback - Replaces Brick Throwing

Instead of the old "brick throwing," we now encourage Challengeers to post a direct link to their Challenge entry in this forum. However, PLEASE wait until the Sunday after entries for that topic close. This is to ensure judging has been finalised.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Share the Love by Leaving Feedback - Replaces Brick Throwing

Post by Deb Porter »

I have decided it is time to stop posting "brick throwing" time. To be honest, this was something that came about many years ago when lots of people were active in the Challenge and cared to know who wrote each entry before the winners were announced. We started "hinting" time once we had our winners, and then a day before the winners were announced, we let everyone "throw a brick" to their entry (in other words, no hint, just a direct link to the entry).

Gradual decrease in interest in "hinting" saw the switch to simply "throwing a brick" a few years ago. We've now reached the point where it's time to move on again.

Instead, could I please encourage everyone to take time to read and leave feedback? This is valuable, even if you don't feel qualified to comment on the craft. You are also a reader, and that gives you the right to comment from a reader's point of view.

Reading the entries each week can be as valuable as writing your own entry. Put on your critical brain and consider why you did or didn't like a particular entry. If you take that time to do that, and then consider your own writing in light of what you've seen, it will gradually shape your skill.

If you still would like to share a link straight to your entry, you can do that, but please wait until Sunday each week before doing so. This is to ensure we have enough time to finish judging.

Challengeers have always been great encouragers and helpers. Don't let the that slip by. You don't need to read every entry, but if you see some without feedback, that would be a great place to start.
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Verna
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Due to Lack of Interest ...

Post by Verna »

I miss throwing bricks . . .
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/
Shann

Post by Shann »

I do too. It's nice to know that the person really wants feedback. I even miss the hints. I thought that was creative.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

It's a shame, but people just weren't getting involved. Not sure how to change that.

I don't have the spare time to do something that isn't being used (if that makes sense).

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

zacdfox
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Share the Love by Leaving Feedback - Replaces Brick Thro

Post by zacdfox »

This is the saddest discovery I've made, upon my return to faithwriters.

Might I suggest an alternative (forgive me if I'm overstepping)?

Motivated individuals could post a direct link to their entry in the forum corresponding with the week's topic.

So for instance, this week we could post our entries here:
http://faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/v ... 22&t=41550

Would that be ok, Deb?
LeslieJeanAnderson
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by LeslieJeanAnderson »

Thank you, Deb for clarifying what this function is all about... I never understood what Throwing a Brick was for. But the new title explains it all!

The more I work with this website, the more I enjoy it. Thank you for all your hard work! My best wishes to you from me in my little Florida writing place.
dbutlerdunnit
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Location: The Land of Oz (Just follow the yellow & green brick road to the Emerald city of Melbourne).

Post by dbutlerdunnit »

Hi all!
Just getting back into it again myself after a long break.
I can understand the reasoning for dropping things like "Brick-throwing" thru lack of interest --considering all the hard work Deb 'n co are doing.

I couldn't find the instructions for the "Direct link" that replaces it tho.
Have I missed something? Or do we get an invitation when all the judging's done?

I kind've like Zac's suggestion:
zacdfox wrote: Might I suggest an alternative (forgive me if I'm overstepping)?

Motivated individuals could post a direct link to their entry in the forum corresponding with the week's topic.
Would that involve extra work by the team?

Cheers n Blessings
Dave B. (aka Arthur D Bardswell)

Take a look at Arthur D Bardswell's latest novel:
"Wings in the Wind: The Reign of the Mawh'eyri"

Any reviews would be fantastic! It makes you eligible for a FREE Download of the sequel: "Wing in the Wind: Seasons of the Sun Spirit." when available.
MommaClaire
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by MommaClaire »

Truthfully, I never figured it out: both the how to and what it was all about. Sigh.
Shann

Post by Shann »

The brick throwing was initially used to leave a direct link to your challenge after the judging is done in order to get more feedback on your challenge articles. Generally, if you left a link, you were expected to leave comments on others who left a link.

The judging is done anonymously so that is why Deb started a thread after the judging is done. I don't think there would be anything wrong with leaving a link in the thread that discusses the topic. I would wait until at least Sunday. She no longer leaves an invition since that would take the same time and energy as having the brick throwing link.

You could put a note in that thread, copy the url on your story, and ask for feedback.

Unfortunately the message boards are not as active as they once were, so you may not get much more feedback, but it would certainly be worth trying especially if you're looking for constructive feedback.

Again, I'd like to stress the best way I've found to get more comments is to give them. If someone comments on my articles, instead of sending a thank you note, I will click on that person's name and read and comment on some of their articles. I've found so many people appreciate that and take time to comment on mine as well.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to “Challenge Entry Direct Links”