Is it ok to rewrite a piece for the challenge?

All the facts about the Challenge and special announcements from the Coordinator.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Shann

Is it ok to rewrite a piece for the challenge?

Post by Shann »

I have a poem I wrote about a year ago that would be perfect for this week's challenge. However I have a very difficult time with meter and line length. Would it be breaking the rule that everything must be something written this week, if I took the same premise as my poem and turned it into a story? I would be writing most things over, as it is now in a poem format, but some of it would still be the same. I feel inspired to re-write it, but don't want to enter it in the challenge if that is considered against the rules. Thanks!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus »

The general rule is that it has to be a new piece of writing. Using the same themes would be okay, but if the words are the same, I dunno....better check with Deb, but my inclination is she'll say no.
Shann

Post by Shann »

No the words would be different, but it would tell basically the same story just in a totally different way. I'd add characters, and dialogue, where in the poem there was some of that, but I'd want it to seem like a story instead of a poem.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

Shann, that's fine--provided it is a total re-working. If you are just using the same foundational story, that's fine.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to “Rules, Ratings, Judges and Official Info”