What are the basics?

All the facts about the Challenge and special announcements from the Coordinator.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Bob78
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

What are the basics?

Post by Bob78 »

Deb,
I'm new to the FW forum, so I'm still trying to find my around all of your services. I'm interesting in participating in the weekly Challenge, but I can't find out any information regarding the basics for doing this. Is there a form in which I am to submit my document? If so, where is it? Is there a program I'm to use in writing my document, like Word or Notepad? If so, what is it? What is the maximum word count? I think I saw this someplace, but I don't remember where. Perhaps everyone knows the answers to these questions or knows where to find this information, but I don't. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I'm not Deb, but she's probably (better be) asleep right now in Australia.

Quite a lot of the info is in the FAQ, but I'll help you out with some quick things right now.

HEREis where you enter. You can upload a file, but I've found it easier to copy/paste it in from my WP.

You can type it in your favorite program (preferably one with a word counter built in at least). Word count is 150-750.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi Bob. Good on you for jumping into the Challenge.

Shari's pointed you in the right direction. The only thing to watch is not to upload anything other than a plain text file. So don't save a file in Word and upload that, or you'll end up with formatting problems.

If you save your file as plain text, then you can upload it. If not, copy and paste.

Formatting such as paragraph indents, bold, italics, etc., won't carry over to the entry, so if you want to add formatting like that, you need to use a little bit of HTML code. Here's a link to show you how:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... php?t=3697

Welcome to the Challenge. Have fun and make sure you jump into hinting time Monday week (here on the boards). Just be warned--the Challenge can be very addictive, particularly with "message board dwellers." :wink:

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Bob78
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Basics for Challenge

Post by Bob78 »

Deb,
You indicate,
If you save your file as plain text, then you can upload it. If not, copy and paste.
This instruction is still not clear. Where do I go to create the document file for my entry? Do I write the document on the FW form or do I write it in my Word program? If I write it in my Word program, I understand that I should save it as a "plain text" file. But how would I upload it from My Documents to the FW Challenge entry box? Where is the "copy and paste" process done? I don't understand exactly where I need to go to start writing any document that I would submit to the Challenge contest. I assume that I could write and save several drafts of any document on my computer before selecting one to submit to the Challenge contest. Where should I write such documents for the Challenge contest? Please clarify this process for me. I'm sorry that I don't understand these basics. Thanks for your help with this.
Bob
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

On the Writing Challenge Page (accessed by clicking "Writing Challenge" from the FaithWriters home page), there's a link that says "submit your entry". Click that.

You'll be taken to a new page where everything will be clear...you'll choose a level, type in a title, and then cut and paste your entry. Although it's possible to type directly into the submission box, not many people do that. Just type into your usual word processing program on your computer FIRST, and have that ready to cut and paste once you start the submissions process.

Warning: Challenge entries, once submitted, can never be edited. Be sure you've got it just the way you want it first! However, you can preview it at many times as you wish, to be sure it's perfect. But once you click "submit", it's engraved in stone, as it were.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Yes, Bob, as Jan said, you'll see the form for the Challenge here:

http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Click on the "Submit Entry" link in the column on the left, and that will take you to the submission page.

You access the submission page from that page each week, but here's a direct link to the submission page (it will ask you to log in first):

http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/wc-submit.php

Type your entry in Word, save it as a plain text file just to make sure all formatting has been removed, then you can either upload it via that submission page, or you can paste it from the plain text file straight into the submission box on the Submission page.

One thing we don't recommend is writing it for the first time in the submission box (and not saving a copy to your own files). That has led to many a heartache in the past.

So type it in Word (or wherever), save as a plain text file to hopefully avoid any formatting glitches, then either upload it or copy and paste it into the submission page.

Make sure you don't include your name or any other personal details in the submission box, as the entry will automatically be associated with your account (you have to log in to submit it) and entries have to be anonymous while the judges are reading and rating.

Also, when you choose your level of entry, make sure you click outside the level selection box before scrolling down to the submission box. Many a beginner has found themselves in Level 4 because they scrolled down without clicking outside the box.

Have fun, and if you still have any queries, just ask.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

keviningram
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Basics for Challenge

Post by keviningram »

Bob78 wrote:Where is the "copy and paste" process done? I don't understand exactly where I need to go to start writing any document that I would submit to the Challenge contest.
If you are not familiar with the "copy and paste" process, you may want to get with a friend or relative who knows some of the computer basics and can give you some pointers. Actions like this are common to overall computer use and not specific to writing in general, so picking up more tips about general computer handling will empower you for writing with all the available tools. Once you get comfortable with the select/copy/paste actions, you will be able to take a saved article and post it easily in the Challenge page.

I also would note that on the main Challenge screen - where the topic is listed - there is an Instructions section with three invaluable links. I still refer to those from time to time to refresh my memory on the limits and requirements for the Challenge.

Hang in there - once you get into the Challenge you will probably love it... and hate it... but that's why it's called a challenge. :wink:
Bob78
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Copy and paste

Post by Bob78 »

Kevin,
I'm familiar with the copy and paste process for transfering text and graphics from one page or program into another. I do this all of the time. I just didn't clearly understand where I needed to be to create my Challenge document and how to then submit it to Challenge. I think that I now understand that every document should probably be written and edited in another place and then copied and pasted into the form where it can be submitted to Challenge. I'm getting ready to do that. Thanks for your further help.
Bob
Here is my website: http://christianityetc.org

Return to “Rules, Ratings, Judges and Official Info”