FaithWriters' Critique Guidelines

All the facts about the Challenge and special announcements from the Coordinator.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

FaithWriters' Critique Guidelines

Post by Deb Porter »

Because of recent discussions about critiquing, I felt it important to go to the source and share the guidelines for critiquing at FaithWriters, or put another way, the expectations of members leaving feedback. These guidelines have been posted in the Critique Circle since that area was started a few years ago, but they probably need to be on every member's account page as well. All feedback should follow this format, or it may be removed:

Giving Critiques

Critiquing the work of others requires balance. Being too nice will not help your fellow writers develop their work; being too harsh can crush a writer’s ego (particularly new writers, who tend to be shy about sharing their work). How can you achieve the right balance? Here are some tips:

Take care to point out both what works, and what doesn’t. If you’re new to critiquing, a good hint would be to point out one thing you like (a phrase, a description, an idea) for each thing that bothered you.

Whenever possible, be specific when pointing out things that you didn’t like (don’t just say “I didn’t like this part” or “I’d cut that,” say “I didn’t like this part because…” or “I’d cut that because…”).

Try to offer suggestions when you think a change is needed. Suggestions, even to the point of an offered rewording, can be very helpful; even if the suggestion isn’t exactly right for the author to use, he or she may get a good idea from it, or at least a better understanding of the point you are trying to make.

Be honest and direct, but in a polite and caring way. Holding back your feelings about a piece because you’re afraid to share your thoughts isn’t going to help anyone. Just be mindful of how you share your opinions!

Receiving Critiques

How you handle critiques you receive is just as important as how you give them to others. It’s perfectly natural to want to defend your work, but it isn’t a healthy thing to do in a writers’ group. When receiving a critique, here are a few things to bear in mind:

Don’t argue with someone’s critique of your work. If you don’t like the changes he or she has suggested, just say “Thank you,” and move on. After all, a critique is an opinion, and we’re all entitled to our own opinions.

Feel free to ask questions. Sometimes, asking a person to clarify what he or she has said in a critique will help you to see why that suggestion was made.

You’re the author, and you have the final say. So, remember as you receive critiques that it is your prerogative to accept or reject any suggestions made. This is a useful tip to keep in mind when the group is pretty evenly divided on a particular point (which will likely be most of the time). Don’t feel like you have to change something just because someone in the group didn’t like it; but also don’t make any overly hasty judgments about critiques you receive (sometimes they make more sense when you go back and look at them later).

If everyone in the group has the same comment, chances are they’re right. You may not agree, and it’s still your right to reject their opinion, but generally speaking, if everyone has the same reaction, there’s probably something to it.
Last edited by Deb Porter on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Pat
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Pat »

Thanks Deb ... FW just keeps getting better! :D

Love,
Pat
briandhannahsmom
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thanks Deb

Post by briandhannahsmom »

Thanks Deb, this was helpful and informative.
Julie Arduini: The Surrendered Scribe
http://juliearduini.com
Surrendering the good, the bad, and ---maybe one day---the chocolate
bmwbear129
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by bmwbear129 »

This was very helpful and it will make me think about what to write. I grew up in a household that taught: If you cannot say something nice than don't say anythign at all. This makes it difficult for me write suggestions or point out mistakes even though I know I would appreciate it on my writing.

What newsletter are you talking about Deb?
Love In Christ,

Brenda

I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me!

Philippians 4:13
(My favorite verse for years and my daughters' birthday--Our God works in such mysterious ways)

Return to “Rules, Ratings, Judges and Official Info”