2019 Page Turner?

Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

2019 Page Turner?

Post by cori67 »

Will there be a 2019 contest? I have been out of the loop for so long. Do you still split it so one year is non-fiction and the next fiction?
Shann

Re: 2019 Page Turner?

Post by Shann »

The last few years there have been both fiction and nonfiction, as long as there are enough entries in both, which I believe there has been. :D Ii haven't heard for sure about anything but challenge, but don't think there will be one again because Deb wants to catch up on past ones.
Last edited by Shann on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Shann wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm The last few years there have been both fiction and nonfiction, as long as there are enough entries in both, which I believe there has been. :D

I was under the impression that Page Turner and all publications of Challenge winners have beeen put on hold, now that Deb is no longer involved. :?: :?:

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

Hello everyone.

My plan is to honor all the past Challenge books (up to and including the end of 2018). Unfortunately, the books don't sell, which breaks my heart. I love them, but they are a hard sell, so I do them as a labour of love. Now that I have finished with FaithWriters, I do have some more time to work on publishing (it had to be one or the other). So the Challenge books, up until the end of last year, are still part of my plans. (If anyone would like to volunteer to help with the admin, i.e. chasing authors, I would appreciate the assistance.)

The Page Turner, sadly, has come to an end. The lack of interest in the contest over the last two to three years has made it clear that continuing with the contest was not viable. It has been my absolute joy to encourage writers with feedback on their entries, and to also discover some amazing talents. One author I'm about to release, Harriett Ford, did not win when she entered, but I loved her quirky supernatural adventure (Voodoo Vanquishing Vixen). It's taken some years to get to this point, but it's in the final stages and should be released in April/May this year. Then there are all the amazing winners. I'm currently working on a past Page Turner winner's manuscript--that's Dee Yoder. The Page Turner has been a joy, but as the interest in it has declined, as well as my time and finances, the time has come to bring it to a close.

Apart from encouraging members and providing publishing opportunities, the Page Turner was also meant to help increase financial support to FaithWriters. Without that support, FaithWriters cannot survive. Sadly, the Page Turner hasn't met that objective for quite a while now. As I also provided the publishing and editing, together with all the judging and feedback, for free, that was a burden I personally couldn't continue with.

Since finishing my time with FaithWriters, I'm finding it so much easier to get my own work done--even on the train to and from my paying job at Koorong, I have my laptop open and am hard at work editing manuscripts and old Challenge entries. I will love FaithWriters forever, but the new freedom to focus on publishing is greatly appreciated. Apart from the fact that my paying job has me placed smack bang in the middle of the book industry. It's all good.

So as sad as it is to say goodbye to the Page Turner, I know FaithWriters will always try to find wonderful ways to encourage their members.

And once I get myself settled, I may just pop up now and then with some special publishing options.

In the meantime, if you think you have a manuscript that would be the perfect fit for Breath of Fresh Air Press, please feel free to contact me. No guarantees, but you never know.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Shann

Post by Shann »

I've said it before Deb, and as long as I'm physically able, my offer to help is always here. :)
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands »

Deb wrote:My plan is to honor all the past Challenge books (up to and including the end of 2018). Unfortunately, the books don't sell, which breaks my heart. I love them, but they are a hard sell, so I do them as a labour of love.

Many thanks, Deb, for giving of your time and God-given gift so unselfishly over the years. I shared a copy of As Time Goes By with one of the concierge where I live when the book first came out. Just before Christmas, she asked if I had an extra copy that she could purchase. I did, and I sold it to her for $10.00 because that's what she thought it cost. :lol: Just thought I would let you know that someone liked it enough to "buy" it.

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Thank you, Deb, for all that you have done for Faithwriters and for the help you have given me to improve my writing. (I could not find a crying face, so I am using the frown face.) :(

Virginia Bliss

Return to “Page Turner Writing Contest”