Okay now what

If you have just signed up as a FaithWriters Platinum (500) member, please stop by this forum and say hello. We want to give you an extra special welcome (even if you are an old familiar face)

Moderators: mikeedwards, beaedwards, RedBaron, mikeedwards, beaedwards, RedBaron, mikeedwards, beaedwards, RedBaron

ladylynn
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Okay now what

Post by ladylynn »

I was a member back in November 2008 and strayed away. Now I'm back as a Platinum member and am not sure where to start.
I will say I've been trying to find something to get my Christian writing into gear, and the Lord lead me back here over and over until I realized what He was telling me and joined in this manner.
So, please advise...where in the world do I start?
Lynn
Once a writer, always a writer; there is no escape.
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Okay now what

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi LadyLynn. Welcome back. :welcome

Best suggestion for a platinum member is to jump straight into the weekly Writing Challenge. It is the best way to hone your skills and get feedback (and encouragement).

If you have a novel in the works, then make sure you give the Page Turner contest a go this year. You have until October to get a first chapter and synopsis ready. If you are more a non-fiction writer, then there'll be a Page Turner contest for you next year.

Read the archive of weekly articles available for Platinum members. So much good information in there.

Those are just three things to get you started, and the Challenge is an absolute must.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

ladylynn
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Thanks Deb

Post by ladylynn »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Deb. I have undertakken the writing challenge before and have already started on this week's, but I struggle with the topics that come up. Not sure why, but this time around I'm a serious writer and looking forward to any help I can get. Hope there are others out there willing to share and be shared.
:superhappy
Lynn
Once a writer, always a writer; there is no escape.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

That's one of the reasons the Challenge is called a challenge. It really stirs us to write to topic, word count and deadline every week. A good way to prime the pump is to look at the entries that have won in the past and see how they approach each topic. Not to copy them, but it can help think outside the predictable.

Also, one thing I recommend to all people serious about honing their skills, and that's to read lots and lots and lots of material at FaithWriters. Again, the Challenge entries each week are a really good place to do that. As you read, really ask yourself why an entry did or didn't hit the spot with you. If you find yourself wanting to click off straight away, really stop and think about what turned you off (or didn't hold your attention). If you find your attention genuinely held to the end, again, examine what it was about that writing that held you that way.

Doing that on a regular basis really does help to develop critical skills that are essential when writing.

Plus, once I give the all clear for a topic (usually on the Saturday or Sunday after entries close), make sure you jump into hinting time here on the boards. That way people can find your entry and give you some feedback. Most of the feedback on entries tends to be very encouraging, but you can make a point of asking for red ink when you post your hint here on the boards. That way, people will know they can give a bit of gentle critique without offending.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Welcome back! :welcome
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member