Share Your Success - Cheering Section

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Current Biblical worldview discussions welcome. Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann, cori67, RedBaron, Shann, cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Share Your Success - Cheering Section

Post by Deb Porter »

We love hearing about the successes of our members, so if you have a new book release, a publishing contract, or an article accepted for publication, please share your great news here.

We will cheer you on! :superhappy

Blessings!

Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Share Your Success - Cheering Section

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Deb, you shouldn’t dangle temptation in front of me. :lol: I’ve already bragged on another forum. However, I maintain that "there is no such thing as too much Brag" so here goes:

Mused Literary Review published all four of my submissions:

"Death of a Small Town" (rhymed metered poetry) Spring 2015
"A True Friend" (short story—contemporary fiction) Summer 2015
"Thanksgiving Fitness Tracker" (short story—contemporary fiction) Autumn 2015
"Lament of the Loon" (short story—historical fiction) Autumn 2015

Thanks to Jan and Deb and my Challenge buddies whose help made my success possible. :thankssign

Cinnamon Bear (Virginia Bliss)
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Well done, Virginia! :superhappy
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Shann

Post by Shann »

Happy Dance!! :party :party :party
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Deb, I sent you an email on October 9 to your FaithWriters address. Please let me know if you received it. Thanks. :)

Virginia Bliss
Milly Born
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Milly Born »

I won a Dutch writing contest! :D OK, it was a small one (500 words), but I'm encouraged all the same. The instruction was to write in the Fantasy/SF genre to a certain topic (I selected "expansion vs living together").

Remember the Genre-ally challenge season last year? I wrote "Beaming Matilda" for the Fantasy/SF week (http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=49681). For the Dutch contest, I used Matilda again, translated and modified details to fit the topic. I didn't remove the faith related aspects though. And although the organizer (a Dutch writer's magazine) isn't Christian at all, it won!

Here's a link to the Google-translated announcement of the winners (thanks, Virginia!). Select "Result Fantasy micro-writing contest": https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search.

One little setback: there's no link to the winning stories :roll:

A big thank you to FW for challenging me to write out of my comfort zone!
Milly Born
Witnessing, worshipping...writing.

Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
--Psalm 105:1
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Milly Born wrote:Here's a link to the Google-translated announcement of the winners (thanks, Virginia!). Select "Result Fantasy micro-writing contest": https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search.

This link takes you to the front page of “Schrijven”. To get to the article, scroll down and look on the left-hand column for the headline “Result fantasy micro-writing contest”. Click on that headline. It describes the strengths and weakness of the entries that came in second, third, fourth and fifth places. Milly's entry came in first, so only its strengths are described, because it doesn't have any weaknesses.

By reading the analysis of each entry, we can see that all the good things about writing that we have learned at Faithwriters are the same things that are recognised as good writing everywhere! :D

Virginia Bliss
yarra
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by yarra »

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Feeling happy and excited!
My book of poetry has been published and I'm having a book launch on Saturday 12th December. My book is called Shoes Off, Feet Up: Poems of everyday life and faith
It's available in Australia first and should be going onto Amazon soon, I think. I'll keep you posted.
Ellen
HISsparrow
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by HISsparrow »

Hooooorrrrrraaaaayyyyyyyyyy, peeps!
dubw591
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by dubw591 »

I really didn't see a place for this so let me explain. I have a little business I have been doing ad hoc for a few individuals. It is simply constructing memoirs for elderly individuals. The basis of this is my chagrin at having lost most of my grandfather's stories. He was an itinerate minister and would sit and tell me stories .... when I was very young.

Anyway, I sit with an elder person and a stack of their pictures, and just have them talk ... take me through their life then I write their memoirs, locally publish it, usually spiral bound, and give it to the elder person at no charge. My printer holds the file on disk and if family members want copies all they have to do is order them from the printers. Oh, I use an audio recorder. I'm hoping to get some funding to do this on a larger scale; perhaps video too. Other than time, my cost is about $10-$15 per person.

I would hope that other writers might see this as an opportunity to use their gift for other people.
If its still moving ... don't eat it
Shann

Post by Shann »

That's awesome Dub. Your timing is quite timely too. My minister suggested I visit the woman who was Mom's best friend and is dying to write some of her stories. Perhaps I need to do so!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Laurie »

What a nice idea, Dub. :)
yvonblake
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by yvonblake »

Over the last few years, I've been compiling my Challenge entries into books -
COUNTRY STORE COLLECTIONS (something for everyone)
http://www.yvonnebeverlyblake.com/count ... books.html

I like to write Bible stories from a different perspective, and so I had quite a collection
of short stories and poems filling up my computer files.
I compiled them and just published In Their Sandals. I hope it's a blessing to someone. http://mybackdoorministry.blogspot.com/ ... jesus.html
yarra
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by yarra »

yarra wrote::) :) :) :) :) :)
Feeling happy and excited!
My book of poetry has been published and I'm having a book launch on Saturday 12th December. My book is called Shoes Off, Feet Up: Poems of everyday life and faith
It's available in Australia first and should be going onto Amazon soon, I think. I'll keep you posted.
Ellen
I'm not sure if this will work (adding to an old thread) but I'll see how it goes.

An update on the above about my book SHOES OFF, FEET UP: POEMS OF EVERYDAY LIFE AND FAITH.
It's now available as an eBook as well as a print book, on Amazon. It's also in the FaithWriters bookshop - or a link to Amazon from there.
PS It might make a nice Mother's Day gift. I think Mother's Day is celebrated at the same time in the US as here in Australia - May 8.
Blessings, Ellen
yarra
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by yarra »

At risk of looking like I'm bombarding this forum about my book I'd just like to let you know that my poetry ebook (Shoes Off, Feet Up: Poems of everyday life and faith) is available for free download for 48 hours. I'm calling it a Mother's Day treat.
Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Shoes-Off-Feet-Up ... 8&qid=&sr=

Blessings, Ellen

Return to “The Water Cooler”