General writing Accountability group desired to start

Looking for a Christian writers' group in your area or have a group of your own? Use this forum to make the connection with other writers.

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: General writing Accountability group desired to start

Post by lookinup »

Though this is a focused group, and we will want to avoid replication, and offering the same things that FW offers in other parts. I say this because expectations can become a burden, and can kill the very things we are trying to accomplish in meeting needs based around time management.

However, we should, if there is "time" :wink: and the willingness, go comment upon each others' work. Definitely. It is a stretch for me to start this group these days as my health is up and down, though mainly up right now, but my heart is to meet needs, and to include others, especially when I am on a track such as this with time management. Praise God that we are a Body, and not little islands.
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs
Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Sibermom65 »

If it's not full, I think I should join this group. I know I always accomplish more goals when I have some accountability or deadlines. I have so many ideas and writing dreams that never seem to get addressed.
I also realized that for years I have postponed things, convincing myself I needed to learn more, experience life more, before I started writing. Now I realize it was just another way to procrastinate. As a photographer (retired) the best way to learn to take better pictures was to take pictures. Now I see as a writer the best way to improve is to write.
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

P.S. Trudy, it took courage for you to put your goals out there, and conviction that goal setting is a real need for all of us. Thank you. God bless you as you continue stepping out and up to be the writer who He is calling you to be. Looking forward to hearing this week's goal results.
Shann

Post by Shann »

I'm so excited that so many are interested. I had you on my list to contact SiberMom! I'm also excited to see Bec and Ingrid too. You were two of the people I thought of too when Catherine mentioned it. I think I've seen and commented on everyone's writing here, but Ashley's (if you point me in the right direction, I'd love to read and comment on your stories too.)

I don't know if a group email would work where we just have everyone's name and respond to all or if we should have a specific group like Yahoo (Shari set that up for a challenge group that disbanded over the years, but I'm not sure how to do it.)

I use Gmail. I don't think it's a good idea to put our emails on the boards, but perhaps we can PM them to Catherine (lookinup). I know if we wanted to set a time, there's options to do a video chat. I've done a group Bible study that way once or twice through Google Hangouts. I'm not super technical, but am willing to try whatever you all think would work best.

I used to have the goal to comment on every challenge, and I did it for a couple of years, but with my editing and granddaughter and health issues, I haven't done that many in awhile.

But I'd like to do at least 10 each week. (read and comment on weekly challenges)
Work on finding an illustrator for my picture book. (By end of February)
Decide which story to do next (either a fairy tale one, one for my granddaughter, or start my Wrigley series). (by end of year)
I'd like to write out a prayer and include each group member's needs once a week. (Immediately)
Start tweaking or writing my next picture book. (By end of January)
Enter the challenge once a week.
Maybe write a devotional for FW once a month.
Work on editing projects and be more encouraging when I edit. (as projects come up)

I tend to procrastinate quite a bit, so I really need to have a deadline and have someone prompt me (or if need be whack me aside the head! :mrgreen: )

Don't feel like you have to share these goals on this thread, but I thought I would. I liked that Trudy did it. We may not all have the same goals, but that's okay. You may not even be 100% certain what your goal is, but I think that's one way the group can help. I listed quite a few, but might need to trim it to make sure I can meet my goals. I also need a deadline, but not everyone may need one.

Personally, I don't think the group can get too full. I believe God will find a way to make sure everyone who belongs here is here.

I think it might be good to have some expectations too. I know I'd especially like someone praying for me. I also need that encouragement to get things done in a timely matter and maybe a happy dance when I complete a goal. I think I'd also like some general feedback and advice about my picture books when I finish it. (Because of you all I said when, not if like I normally would.) If anyone can point me to a potential illustrator...
I could also point people to editors, possibly layout and formatters, and marketing assistants.

I think we all have a lot to offer one another no matter what are background or experience. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

I wrote a note a bit back that never made this thread. Trudy, kudos for you! It took courage to post your goals, and to step forward. Thank you and God bless your efforts. Stay tuned for forward movement from brave souls who will also be doing so today, and through these busy holidays. Pray as we begin, for wisdom for all of us, and that we will move with the Spirit in each of our lives!
RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM »

Is this group closed? There was a mention of 6-8 people max at the beginning of the thread. Just let me know if the group is getting too big! :D

I'd love some accountability. My life is very, very busy with raising my six kids and homeschooling 5 of them. I also work as a birth doula from time to time. But I'm eager to make the most of my god-given time. I'm working hard to finish the rewrite of my current novel by December 6, and I need to start blogging again once a week.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

RachelM wrote:Is this group closed? There was a mention of 6-8 people max at the beginning of the thread. Just let me know if the group is getting too big! :D

I'd love some accountability. My life is very, very busy with raising my six kids and homeschooling 5 of them. I also work as a birth doula from time to time. But I'm eager to make the most of my god-given time. I'm working hard to finish the rewrite of my current novel by December 6, and I need to start blogging again once a week.
Hi Rachel. Thanks for dropping in! Wow! You are busy.

We aren't limited at this point, or as limited as we anticipated. The group is taking on a structure a bit different from what I thought at first. So, we're moving forward and keeping it open to everyone for the foreseeable future.

If you would go to: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39824, it'll be clearer. Glad to have you. Lord bless.
trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by trudynewell »

Hi -

I checked the new site out, but couldn't see how to post on it. So am responding here. (Sorry for my ignorance about tech stuff.)

This past week I completed my goals. I will be working on the things you suggested, Catherine.

Have a great Thanksgiving all. I'm glad to see a good group willing to work on putting writing into their lives. Let's pray for each other, that God will give us the motivation and discipline that's needed. I may not be a mom home-schooling five children, but my life is full too. We all have more than enough to do in our crazy world.

Have a wonderful Lord's day - Trudy
Shann

Post by Shann »

I could post a reply, but I couldn't get to the link so I'll repost it here:
http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... =1&t=39824
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thread closed. Please follow new link below.

Post by lookinup »

Good morning all.

I came over to close this thread, as it is no longer the one we are working off of. So good to hear from everyone exited about moving forward.

Most of us have complex lives. Writing from, within, and for some - about - those complexities requires that we learn to juggle our time to optimize it.

Please pop over here:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... =1&t=39824

to read what is next, and to make any more entries. Thanks! :thankssign

Welcome aboard!
cgalmond
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by cgalmond »

I would like to join this group. On occasion i write a free article and sometime the challenge. But i am a very busy soon to be 85yr old. B :bow but i would like to join.

Cyril Almond. P.S. I often write down what i am preaching. Stand up with my notes, the Holy Spirit will often change direction. And my notes ? some other time perhaps!.
Shann

Post by Shann »

This has been moved to a different area and some of the goals have changed some, but if you're still interested, check it out here: http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... 70#p542070

I'd urge you to read through it and then introduce yourself. :thankssign
Shann

Shann's Profile

lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

NOTE To folks interested: PLS GOTO New Thread

Post by lookinup »

:thankssign Thanks Shann. I haven't been here for a bit, but see that you have. How kind of you to place this note directing those interested to the other site. I'm going to place the goals on this site so folks can see if it's a good fit for them. Look forward to seeing you again on the Thread when you are feeling more like yourself and have the time! Catherine

For anyone interested in hanging out with others who are trying to make better use of time, and spend more time writing, come on over to: http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... =1&t=39824 or the link Shann included which I haven't ever been able to get to work.

:sorry ABOUT THE INCONVENIENCE...

We're evolving, but having fun doing it! Browse through the Thread if you like and then just intro yourself and jump right in! :welcome
Deb Porter wrote:Catherine Craig has had it on her heart to start a thread where people are able to be accountable to one another for the use of their time as Christian writers. It's a great idea and we fully support it.

Catherine has defined the goals as:

:arrow:
1. To help writers to establish and define their personal goals, objectives, and core values, including, but not limited to writing.

2. To declutter their minds and to trust God more so that they can write better and hear God more clearly.

3. To manage their time in the best possible manner so as to be stewarding it well.

4. To discuss, smile, and pray about issues related to challenges centered around the first three points.

5. To set goals and to be both held accountable, and to get and give encouragement to move forward.

6 To find tools that will help.
All excellent goals. If you would like to be a part of this group, please jump straight in.

Blessings!

Deb
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

cgalmond wrote:I would like to join this group. On occasion i write a free article and sometime the challenge. But i am a very busy soon to be 85yr old. B :bow but i would like to join.

Cyril Almond. P.S. I often write down what i am preaching. Stand up with my notes, the Holy Spirit will often change direction. And my notes ? some other time perhaps!.
:welcome Cyril,

We'd love to have you if you would like to pop in and check us out.

Blessings,
Catherine

Return to “Christian Writers' Groups”