General writing Accountability group desired to start

Looking for a Christian writers' group in your area or have a group of your own? Use this forum to make the connection with other writers.

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

General writing Accountability group desired to start

Post by lookinup »

This is a bit different from the idea of buddy groups for the Challenge. It is at the level of overall writing goals, rather than isolated to the Challenge,.

I once started a local Christian writers’group where I previously lived, and two of us each wrote and published a book as a result. From that experience and through FW, I know what collective influence can do.

I need a handful of others - 6-8 max who want to set prayerful objectives for annual, monthly, weekly and daily goals, and to be held accountable – barring crises – for the next year. Beginning sometime this month in November, if it is of value to anyone, I would like to meet via technology with other Christian writers once a month. Just to check-in and inspire one another. Of course, this would support what already exists on FW by helping to provide daily accountability and forestall procrastination.

I ran this by FW leadership and was advised to place it on the forum. Also PM me if interested. Thanks.
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs
Shann

Re: General writing Accountability group desired to start

Post by Shann »

I'm in. It sounds like a great idea. I would win gold medals if procrastination and worrying were Olympic sports!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

Thanks Shann.

I never thought of myself as a procrastinator until lately when I realized I was spinning my wheels, setting more goals to replace the ones I was setting in writing, aND not doing. :? . Through dialogue, maybe with other Christ-centered procrastinators, I might figure it out! :wink:

:coolsign
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Goal setting for Christian writers...?

Post by lookinup »

This morning as I considered my writing goals, I googled the topic of "setting goals as a Christian writer." Now some of you who read this will just smile, knowingly, and others will roll their eyes and sigh. But, this is the 4th time, I believe, that I've edited this post, and each time I get more excited!

Why? Because time management just might become my next writing project! I googled and came up with a site that led me back to an article - among others - by Jerry Jenkins located in my 2014 Christian Writer's 2014 Market Guide sitting not 5 feet from me as I write this. Another aha was that I was collecting materials to help to me to write better, to avoid the inner critic inside my head.

After writing my first self-published novel in 2009, I believe that there are two levels of goal setting involved here, but really 3 - or more. First there are the global life goals beginning with the question, "Where am I going in life?" Then, "Where am I going in writing?" FW helps address the latter question.

However my overarching question as a Christian (versus non-Christian) writer is - or should be - this: "What does God want me to do next?" All these levels of goal setting compliment each other, tie together. Like a math problem that verifies itself. The more Christ-centered my life is, that much more closer to being in the center of God's will in life, writing, and relationship(s) I will be, the more congruent the chapters/pieces will be and peace I will have.

Then there is the why of things! The Lord caught my attention on the difference between my being a Christian and not a secular writer, that it went deeper than I thought. Money is the secular goal; pleasing God has to be mine. Though both matter in the earning of the living, money cannot be the driving force or it takes me away from a Christ-centered focus.

I cannot sit at my desk (table) my customary 4 hours per day, think about the money I'm going to make, or having my name in print, and, as a Christian let that be my primary focus. It will lead me away from God. It's a dead end!Or it eventually leads to one. I see that now.

I once taught time-management. As a life-long intensive goal-setter myself, I used to set 5-10 year goals, down to the weekly, daily, and hourly goals' levels. The aging process dictates that one sets shorter long-term goals. But, it is still wrapped around the question, "Lord, what do you want me to do next?"

Then there is always the dilemma of getting caught up in the planning of life, where I/we take over and the Holy Spirit has to nudge, saying, "Who is really in control here?" :oops:

Should a Christian even set goals? This was brief article on the subject reminded me of some basic principles. Great comments below it! http://christianpf.com/christian-goal-setting/

trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by trudynewell »

I'm a little nervous about this, but if it's not too late count me in. I sure need this kind of accountability.

Thanks - Trudy
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

trudynewell wrote:I'm a little nervous about this, but if it's not too late count me in. I sure need this kind of accountability.

Thanks - Trudy
Awesome. Glad to have you on board for something like this. I'll be contacting you.

Thanks!
IAForsberg
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by IAForsberg »

I would love to participate in this. Joining a general writing accountability group is a very good thing. :thankssign
Shann

Post by Shann »

Things have been a bit crazy for me right now, but I'm excited. I've sent out some PMs to members. I'm hoping to hear from others too.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Bec
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Bec »

Hi,
The goal that I need accountability around is not setting goals! I need to learn to do things God's way and would like to join the group to support others and get some support too.
Great idea and thanks,
Bec
HISsparrow
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by HISsparrow »

Hi!

I would be interested in joining if your group isn't full already. Like Trudy, I'm a little nervous, but the kind of group you described sounds like just the thing to help me with my WIP.

Ashley
Shann

Post by Shann »

Don't be nervous Ashley. I believe it will be a wonderful way to encourage and pray for one another. I personally don't think we can have too many people join in. We all need prayer and gentle nudging from time to time. If not for the challenge's deadlines I'd never have written most of my stories.

I'm also a firm believer that we all have something valuable to offer others. I often hear, I can't give feedback because I'm new to writing. I think it's easy to forget, especially in a setting where there are so many writers, that as Christian authors, our first goal is to write as God calls us (that doesn't necessarily mean to write only Christian stories though), but next we write for our readers, not other writers. I may have only been writing seriously for 5 years, but I've been reading for 45!

I think it would be good to state what we would all like from this group. I like what Becky says. She's right, we all may not have the same needs, but we can still help each other.

I need someone to be a deadline for me. I have a children's series I've been working on for a long time, but need someone to help me fulfill my goals. Even if it's just a Shann have you found an illustrator yet? That will help me but aside my fears of not being inadequate and help motivate me.

Like I said earlier, I'm having health and family problems right now, but I am still very interested!
Shann

Shann's Profile

HISsparrow
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by HISsparrow »

Shann,

Thank you for your encouragement. You are definitely right. We all need words of encouragement, and we all have something valuable to offer. I must confess I tend to think I'm too green a writer to offer anything truly helpful. But like you said, I've been reading for most of my life.

I think it's a good idea to state what we would like to achieve. I am working on a novel. I have a chapter written into my first draft. I need accountability, of course, and encouragement.

Ashley
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

My goodness. I was waiting for P.M.'s, and haven't been back to this thread. What a great response. I wondered if others would feel the need I felt! It appears you do. :D

First, what this group isn't. It isn't a Buddy Group. It is simply meant to be a safe place to discuss/present or goals God has laid on our hearts, or aspirations. It will supplement what others have already worked so hard to give us on FW. Editing, proofreading, such things are on the critique circle, and of course there is "Grammarly". :wink: Jan and Ann, among others, offer a smorgasbord of resources and writing lessons. Then, there is the Challenge and it's busy groups to stimulate and learn more about writing.

Each week we will simply present our goals/aspirations. There will be room to lay out issues centered around these. Those in the group can offer answers. I am anal about setting goals myself, and have been so for years. God advocates being good stewards of our time, and the Bible is clear about the value of setting God centered goals.

In time I would like to have an online platform, similar to Skype, that will allow face-to-face meetings for discussion. Given the level of interest in this subject, if FW leaders okay it, it would be nice to have a thread for other FW writers to follow on the subject.

For now, stay tuned. By the end of this week, on Saturday, we will have things in place to proceed. Thanks to Shann especially for her interest and active help. Please pray.
trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by trudynewell »

Wow - I am excited to see this group coming together.

Ashley, I had to chuckle at you being nervous about joining the group.

Shann - Thanks for your nudges, support, and for encouraging me to join this group.

Ingrid - Good to have you a part. Just read your last couple of Challenge entries. (Sorry I'll try to comment later on.)

Now - just to get others interested - I'm going to share my goals which I PM to lookinup

1. I plan to comment on at least five Challenge entries each week - This week accomplished.
2. I plan to enter each Challenge - Whew, I'm still working on this weeks! But wanted to take a break and touch base here.
3. I plan to spent two hours five days a week on these goals.
4. I have a Christmas novel in progress, but for now it is fourth on the list.

With everything else going on, these goals are a real challenge. Please pray that I will be able to hang in there, and complete them each week.

Thanks - Trudy
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

trudynewell wrote:Wow - I am excited to see this group coming together.

Ashley, I had to chuckle at you being nervous about joining the group.

Shann - Thanks for your nudges, support, and for encouraging me to join this group.

Ingrid - Good to have you a part. Just read your last couple of Challenge entries. (Sorry I'll try to comment later on.)

Now - just to get others interested - I'm going to share my goals which I PM to lookinup

1. I plan to comment on at least five Challenge entries each week - This week accomplished.
2. I plan to enter each Challenge - Whew, I'm still working on this weeks! But wanted to take a break and touch base here.
3. I plan to spent two hours five days a week on these goals.
4. I have a Christmas novel in progress, but for now it is fourth on the list.

With everything else going on, these goals are a real challenge. Please pray that I will be able to hang in there, and complete them each week.

Thanks - Trudy
Duly noted. Wonderful! They are on record, and we'll pray for you. On Monday, we'll check in whatever format is decided upon.

Hugs,
Catherine

Return to “Christian Writers' Groups”