Starting a Group

Looking for a Christian writers' group in your area or have a group of your own? Use this forum to make the connection with other writers.

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

briojoy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Starting a Group

Post by briojoy »

We are in the process of building a new home. We plan to use this home as an outreach for many things. One thing I would like to do is start a writer's group. I've never even attended any, so would like input on what is needed.

Thanks
dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub »

Maybe I can give you some insight. Others might be able to speak to the subject also.

First, let me tell you about a group that did not work. We met at a set time at a local coffee shop (back room). The organizer and leader had no agenda. His idea was to gather and "talk shop."

Second, I will share some notes about the group I currently belong to, it has been in existence for several years. We too talk a lot about writing; however each member is responsible for the program on a given month. Members present everything from research papers to scenes from novels they are working upon. Note our community is about 40K in population, and our group is about 20 folks. We meet for dinner at a country club one night per month. There are no dues, but we each $15 for dinner, tip, and share of room cost. We help with the Arts Council's annual literary symposium.

Both groups are/were secular in nature, but occupied by Christian men and women.

I have also been on the organizational end of two church based Christian groups; neither went well; one person told me it was just one more meeting at church she had to go to.
"Here I am Lord, send me."
briojoy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by briojoy »

Thanks so much, Dub. Good advice.
edteaches
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Starting a Group

Post by edteaches »

My question to dub: Why did the writers group that met at a church not work out? Any particular reason besides just being at a church?

I am looking to start a writers group in New York City and I was thinking of meeting at my church. We have a reception hall where we can meet. I think it would be a good place to meet but I've never done something like this before. What would you advise?

Thank you and God bless you.
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Starting a Group

Post by oursilverstrands »

Hi!
Where do you plan to start the group in New York? I would love to know. If you don't want to give out the address here, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Many blessings,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to “Christian Writers' Groups”