Freelance websites

Find out about any writing contests. Share freelance writing opportunities, writing tips and tricks, as well as your favorite books and software for writers. Share the love.

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Kjames0813
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Freelance websites

Post by Kjames0813 »

A member on FW recommended for me to find work on UpWork.com
Has anyone else had success with any sites like that?
I was nervous about trying, but am considering it.
RedBaron

Re: Freelance websites

Post by RedBaron »

Kjames0813 wrote:A member on FW recommended for me to find work on UpWork.com
Has anyone else had success with any sites like that?
I was nervous about trying, but am considering it.
I have gotten some ok work through freelance sites, some not so great.

The key to ANY of those sites is to pay nothing up front. If they are legit, they will take a percentage after the fact to help protect you getting paid and the client getting the work. A lot of the sites are bid for work sites, and there are a lot of non-English speaking people who will bid super low.

Do your research and give it a shot, as long as they don't ask for money up front.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
Kjames0813
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Kjames0813 »

What are other ways to find work? Is there a forum on here that can help me?
Shann

Post by Shann »

It's difficult to find writing jobs. You should consider getting a Writer's Market book that helps you find the different publishers and what genre they are and how they accept manuscripts. Editing or proofreading are different ways to get jobs based on your writing expertise. Unfortunately, many jobs like slush pile readers (something I once wanted to do) are filled with interns. Occasionally, someone will post a job for Christian writers and Mike will send it out through a PM.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Kjames0813
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Kjames0813 »

I have a writers’ market. One of the FW members shared a job post with me off site. I am going to try and make enough money to upgrade, because I am still a silver member.
mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mikeedwards »

Up Work is a good site but it takes a while to break in. I have hired several people off Up Work, not writers, other specialties. When I look for a person I review the reviews on them and usually choose a person with experience and reviews and a high rating from past people who have hired them. I see many on there who have done no work yet and want the job. They may be great, but I prefer ones that have feedback. I am sure this is the issue to breaking into UP Work. If you are going to try, make sure you put together a great resume with some letters of recommendation about your writing. Information on education, etc. You can post this on your profile for potential employers to see. I just hired a gal yesterday off Up Work to translate my book "Gravity" from English to Japanese. She did not have a lot of reviews from Up Work users but she had a great resume and is a Christian, which I wanted because my book is a Christian evangelism/apologetics book. She is in Tokyo. I have also hired translators in Arabic, Hindi and Spanish from Up Work. Additionally, I have hired tech people from there. It is a reputable place but it may take a while to break in where people start choosing you. Blessings, Michael
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

Return to “Contests, Writing Tips, Tools, and Freelance Opportunities”