For Picture Book Writers

Find out about any writing contests. Share freelance writing opportunities, writing tips and tricks, as well as your favorite books and software for writers. Share the love.

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

For Picture Book Writers

Post by Deb Porter »

We often neglect this very important section of our writing community, but I know there are a number of people who are keen to take the step and start writing a picture book. It sounds so easy, I know. Less words, immature target reader, and pictures to help sell it ... ah, if only it were so.

Next to humor, I personally believe writing children's picture books is the toughest writing path to go down. In fact, it may be even harder than humor. Take off the rose-colored glasses and see it for what it really is.

With that in mind, I thought I'd share this excellent and very honest guide for picture book writers by the Australian picture book legend, Mem Fox.

http://memfox.com/for-writers-hints/

Mem has three sections for writers (all from that link above). She lays it on the line, and one of her best pieces of advice is this:
DO NOT be surprised to find yourself working on a picture book text for a couple of years and DO NOT give up too soon. Also, DO NOT lose heart after rejections: be resilient and tenacious.
Writing the picture book content for a couple of years? Yikes!

Also, she makes a point about teaching/moralising in picture books which is an important lesson for Christian writers, where our desire to do exactly that is often what spurs us on to write.

Hope you find it helpful. Mem has been successful in the industry for 30 years, which gives her the authority to speak on the subject. (I remember reading Possum Magic to my children when they were little.)

Click here for a list of Mem's books on her website
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: For Picture Book Writers

Post by CatLin »

I'll check this out for sure. I started a picture book a few years ago, and worked on it for months. I revisited it off and on trying to finish it and finally forgot about it (for the most part). I'd like to see if I can actually write one. It's a genre I haven't "mastered" yet, and I'm tenacious. :D
-Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
grandmalovesbabies
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by grandmalovesbabies »

Thanks for sharing this. I have three children picture books sitting on my desk right now waiting for me to complete the book proposals. I'm sure once I can find the time to read this vital information I'll be revising the books once again. I think I'm like on my 10th draft for each one. Who knew it could be so hard.
In the twilight of my years, may His Light shine more brightly.

THRILLED TO BE A 500 MEMBER!

lolliehofer.blogspot.com
lolliehofer.wordpress.com
lolliehofer.wix/lollie-hofer
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=33832
Shann

Post by Shann »

I can't wait to check it out too. I was so excited to publish my first picture book, and want to work on my Wrigley series, but need to find the right illustrator or get the guts to try to pursue traditional publishing.

Thanks for pointing it out. :thankssign
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to “Contests, Writing Tips, Tools, and Freelance Opportunities”