To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Writing more well-rounded antagonists

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Writing more well-rounded antagonists

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:00 am

Recently I came across an article with tips on how to craft more well-rounded antagonists (to which I have since, unfortunately, lost the link).

However, this one incredibly helpful point stuck with me. The author said "Always remember, the villain is the protagonist in his/her own story."

:shock:

Probably a 'been there, done that' concept for you more experienced writers, but it blew my mind because I had never thought about it in those terms.

My current villain has gone from an evil cardboard cutout to an intensely fascinating person, as I no longer am stuck with just coming up with Random Evil Thingz!!! to make him look evil, but ask myself "what does he feel is justified in this particular situation?" (Regardless of whether it is truly morally justified, since he is the bad guy after all.)

Just thought I would share in case it might help somebody.

As an aside, I MISS YOU GUYS! AND I MISS THE WRITING CHALLENGE!!!! *SOB* :cry2

Ok, rant over. Now back to my bat cave to continue this massive and ambitious fiction project which is claiming the entirety of my being. :typing2

Return to Fiction Forum