I think I'm right with this.

Got a burning grammar question? Not sure how to write without a run on. Aren't sure if you're telling when you should be showing? Here's the forum to ask your question. Our amazing Jan Ackerson is here to help.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

I think I'm right with this.

Post by oursilverstrands »

I wrote the following sentence as per below. Just needed to know if the punctuations are correct. Questions and quotes always challenge me. :D

“So what’s the deal, you ask?” “I trust my doctor to explain the results to me.”

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Shann

Re: I think I'm right with this.

Post by Shann »

Since you haven't received an answer, I will insert my opinion. I would say yes the punctuation and quotation marks are correct. The only thing I'd point out is if they are different speakers, you should have separate paragraphs for them, but I gathered they were just two different examples. :mrgreen:

Another way might be "So what's the deal?" you ask. But I sensed you didn't mean it that way.
Another way to do it would be to tweak it to make it easier to understand your meaning if it's different than what I originally suspected: "You ask, 'What's the deal?'"
But I might be reading too much into it.

Again I'm overthinking, but I also might do something (depending on meaning) like this: "So you want to know what the deal is. Well, I trust my doctor to explain the results to me."

It all depends on the context in my opinion. So in the end, I probably didn't help at all! :mrgreen:
But if just a simple question, the mark goes inside of the quotes. Shann scratches her head. "Did I confuse you even more?" :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to “Ask an Editor”