And the Answer Is "Is?"

Got a burning grammar question? Not sure how to write without a run on. Aren't sure if you're telling when you should be showing? Here's the forum to ask your question. Our amazing Jan Ackerson is here to help.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

And the Answer Is "Is?"

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan, The answer is somewhere among the archives, but it's quicker to pose the question here.

I used "is" in the following sentence even though "insurance companies are plural. Am I correct? :D

One reason is the insurance companies who followed Medicare’s lead in determining the cost of an office visit.

Thanks,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
itsjoanne

Re: And the Answer Is "Is?"

Post by itsjoanne »

Is IS correct, because the subject of your sentence is actually "reason," not "insurance companies." :)
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
oursilverstrands

Re: And the Answer Is "Is?"

Post by oursilverstrands »

Thanks, Joanne. After so many years with Faithwriters and not so few articles, you would think I should trust my instincts and what's left of my memory. :D Still, it helps to get validation.

Blessings,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to “Ask an Editor”