Disappearing Forums

Hello FaithWriters,

We greatly appreciate your membership and support. Unfortunately, the forums have been inactive for quite awhile. We have tried to improve activity and have given the forums a lot of time to recover some of their past glory, to no avail. Much of this decline has been from peoples use of social media sites for interaction instead of forums like ours. Therefore, we have made the decision to make this area a place for information about the site with limited posting areas for members. We apologize if this change is not what you wanted to see.

Members should post their articles and Bible studies on the main site as we always intended. Articles and comments can be posted there.

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, RedBaron, beaedwards

Millardrh
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Disappearing Forums

Post by Millardrh » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Deleted by poster.
Last edited by Millardrh on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shann

Re: Disappearing Forums

Post by Shann » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Yes they are cleaning up the site and getting rid of threads that are older or don't have a lot of interest. :(

But remember you can still post poems and other genres in the general submissions part of FW!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Millardrh
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Millardrh » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Deleted by poster.
Last edited by Millardrh on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 am

Millard, we're so sorry. The lack of interaction in the forums was giving the mistaken impression that FaithWriters was dead. Most forums are set to auto prune, so any poem that hadn't been commented on for a while would have disappeared in time.

The various genre forums were originally designed for people to discuss their specific genre. Instead of that discussion, some turned into forums where people posted their poetry and devotions. This is actually what the main site at FaithWriters is for. The forums was for interaction between members. There are so many poems and articles posted daily over on the main site. Here's the link to the poetry section:

https://www.faithwriters.com/article.php?id=13

You can see the most recent articles and poems here:

https://www.faithwriters.com/newest-articles.php

And here's a list of all the categories of articles since FaithWriters began:

https://www.faithwriters.com/search-browse.php

The problem with the forums is that unless people interact and post to topics, it gives the wrong impression about the site. If no one responds to a post, we have no idea if anyone is actually involved or interested at all. We have a lot of search engine bots and spammers come through. They don't post, but they may trawl through the forums. This means we can't even be completely sure that anyone real is actually visiting the posts. Without activity, we have no community in this particular place. With too many forums, information gets lost and people don't come back. When people don't come back, we have no community.

The forums were once a hive of activity, but social media has changed that. So the decision to streamline the forums was made to make things tighter.

As mentioned, we've got loads of poetry and articles over on the main site. If you aren't already a FaithWriters member (of the main site, not the forum), free membership entitles you to post your poetry, and read and comment on as many other articles and poems as you please.

Blessings!

Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mikeedwards » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 am

Hi Millard,

The forum you are talking about was deleted prematurely in error. I am not saying it would not have been removed, but in our main admin section, it showed that there were zero topics and zero posts in that forum for some reason. When I was removing a lot of very old postings, I was also looking for topics with no activity and the zero topics and posting caught my eye, so I deleted it. I apologize that you were not warned. I also apologize that we have not been able to drive traffic to the forums for some time. As Deb mentioned, the social interaction, for the most part, has moved to social media sites like Facebook. This was not what we wanted but FaithWriters forums are a casualty of this change in how people interact and other things. We hope you will continue to post poems on the main site and comment and encourage other poets in that area.

I apologize for the error.

Blessings, Michael
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

Millardrh
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Millardrh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks, Deb and Michael. Wish you the best with the challenge of changing times and circumstances. God bless.
Millard.

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by deejay » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:56 pm

I was still working on what was supposed to be a new neverending story--where is it now? I noticed a fair number of people were reading it....

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mikeedwards » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 am

Hi DeeJay,

The forums are being reduced. I am not certain where the topic you are referring to was posted, but it may have been deleted already. The topics under discussion in this forum were deleted prematurely in error. This may be the case with your topic. I apologize for that.

The forums will be reduced dramatically though with this change.

Blessings, Michael
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

deejay

Post by deejay » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:28 pm

I noticed the Praise Reports thread hasn't had a post on it in quite a while, yet it's still there. Just sayin'.

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 pm

They are still working on it and trying to find a good balance. The praise and prayers forums also are a bit different since they allow members to receive prayers from many and show how God works in our lives. Often people will put praises in the prayer request which is why it's not as active so that might be a good one to combine the two into one thread.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

oursilverstrands

Disappearing Forums AND Numbers? :-)

Post by oursilverstrands » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 am

Hi, Mike and Deb. Can I believe my eyes, or was I dreaming that I had over 1,000 posts that have become a little under 800? :D Is it that once the Forums were removed, the number of previous posts for the defunct posts changed to what I now see?

Just wondering. :roll: :roll:

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60
https://grammyspen.com
Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:13 am

While sad to see things going away, the forums are not used nearly as much as they used to be. I miss everyone hanging out here. A lot of folks are on Facebook, we still connect there. It's not the same. In some ways we can make deeper connections there, but there are other times I feel like I've drifted further from some people.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

RedBaron

Re: Disappearing Forums AND Numbers? :-)

Post by RedBaron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 am

LOL - I used to have the most posts total - in the multiple 1000s... now? 417 LOL.
oursilverstrands wrote:Hi, Mike and Deb. Can I believe my eyes, or was I dreaming that I had over 1,000 posts that have become a little under 800? :D Is it that once the Forums were removed, the number of previous posts for the defunct posts changed to what I now see?

Just wondering. :roll: :roll:

Lillian
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks, Shari.

I kinda thought that was the reason. I joined five years after you, and now I have more posts than you. Imagine that! :lol: :lol:

Lillian
Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:58 am

P.S. My guys aren't laughing. Maybe it's not a laughing matter. One more try: :lol: :lol:

Lillian :D
Fortunate 500

Return to “Forum - Ask Questions About”