The Procrastinator's Patch Forum

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, beaedwards, RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow, mikeedwards, cori67, beaedwards, RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow, mikeedwards, cori67, beaedwards, RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

The Procrastinator's Patch Forum

Post by Deb Porter »

Welcome to the Procrastinator's Patch. The fact you're here is probably a good sign that you are being a procrastinator. In case you aren't sure, here's the definition:
pro⋅cras⋅ti⋅nate

verb, -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing.
–verb (used without object)
1. to defer action; delay: to procrastinate until an opportunity is lost.
–verb (used with object)
2. to put off till another day or time; defer; delay.

Procrastination isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes just taking some time out and admitting you're mucking around rather than working can do you good. Other times you know you need a good kick in the pants to get back to work. Or maybe someone to cheer you one when you just can't quite open that document and get going again.

So the new Procrastinator's Patch will be a place to come and do one of three things:

1. Happily waste time.
2. Get a kick to get going.
3. Be encouraged as you break the procrastination barrier.

Please note: serious procrastinators only. :wink:

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: The Procrastinator's Patch Forum

Post by JesusPuppy »

BreathFreshAir wrote:Please note: serious procrastinators only.
Hummm.. that must leave me out... :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.
Anniel
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Larkrise to Candleford

Post by Anniel »

For those of you that haven't seen the BBC costume drama "Lark Rise to Candleford", based on the book by Flora Thompson, the character played by Julia Sawalha has a recurring phrase, "It's my one weakness"..and she has lots of them...like cakes and clothes.

This week three of us had to admit to our tutors that our assignments weren't ready, so we agreed to say in chorus "It's our one weakness..not getting assignments in on time". As we are only tweve weeks away from finishing, it is seriously time to hit the books. See you after June 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne Linington
Goldswiper
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Goldswiper »

Would it be wrong to say that this forum is long overdue?
Tim (Preacher) Johnson
Ps. 119:165.

Our home business (shop 100+ stores)
Kimberly-Russell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Kimberly-Russell »

Maybe someone can give me some insight on this: I'm not sure if I'm a procrastintor, frightened or what! I'm a writer, I know I'm supposed to write, I have a TON of ideas, but I don't sit down and do it- and I'm not sure why! I'm so frustrated because I KNOW that God wants me to write. Feedback I've gotten here and in my recent creative writing class has been great. It seems I have a story in my head but don't know how to start to get it out on paper. Am I scared? Could be but not sure what of....I'm good with deadlines and can be disciplined. Entered the challenge for the first time, didn't even make the top 15, was disappointed, and now I'm a bit befuddled. Anyone have any ideas? Go ahead and say what's on your mind- I can take it.....I think (just kidding). I really would appreciate any thoughts that might break me out and get me moving forward again.

K
violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus »

Kathryn,

I was disappointed the first time I entered as well, but it didn't take long to figure out what the judges were looking for. Plus, the amazing encouragement from other people helped SO much! Just keep putting yourself out there, accepting the challenges that stretch you as a writer, and you'll find that God has an amazing plan for you....beyond your expectations! If you have an idea for a story, just start writing it! You can put it in general submissions, then hop over to the boards to the Open Forum and ask people to take a look at it (post a link so they can find it). You'll find that the writers here are more than willing to help each other out.
Kimberly-Russell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Kimberly-Russell »

Leah: Thanks so much for your kinds words. I think I'm kind of stuck and not sure how to proceed. Appreciate your insight.
Verna
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Verna »

I've been planning to post here for a long time...but you know how it is!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/
Toni Star
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

For right now, I belong here!

Post by Toni Star »

Hi Everyone--especially Kathryn,

I know where you're coming from because I'm there quite often. Like you, I have many ideas in my mind but sometimes I just can't get them on paper. I think in some cases, maybe yours, the fear of success might be stopping you. It has with me at times and after I get over it, then I get busy at my computer, write the ideas down and if I continue to get more thoughts on writing them, then the words come forth, as in a flood...

Maybe this will help you; I hope it will, for it sounds like some great ideas are inside, wanting to come out....
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."
Anniel
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Larkrise to Candleford

Post by Anniel »

Should I leave "The patch" as my course is finished, assignments complete and licencing now due in September at Portsmouth Cathedral?
Esther
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Larkrise to Candleford

Post by Esther »

Anniel wrote:Should I leave "The patch" as my course is finished, assignments complete and licencing now due in September at Portsmouth Cathedral?
Don't leave! Now sounds like the perfect time to begin procrastinating... or to continue (as I am doing).
Esther
My Blog

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

"Cats are successful underachievers. They only need to purr in order to get free food and TLC. What other creature can lay around the house doing nothing beyond purring, and still get free food and TLC?" - Jim Aites
radioman
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

procrastinator's patch

Post by radioman »

For Kathryn:

If you've got dozens of writing ideas, concentrate on the one or two that is most appealing. You might even make a list. If you have too many ideas, it's really hard to "flush" out the one or two good ideas. Before you write, read a few pages of your favorite author. Always do this to get in the mood. When you stop writing for the day, stop in an interesting place. It might be some juicy dialogue you're itching to write. I have read about some writers who stop in mid-sentence. If you hate writing transitions, don't stop there because it will make coming back to the writing desk even harder. Good Luck! :book2
South-paw-Scribbler
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by South-paw-Scribbler »

violin4jesus wrote:Kathryn,

I was disappointed the first time I entered as well, but it didn't take long to figure out what the judges were looking for.
So Leah, perhaps you could share what you learned? I've been in here a year and still can't seem to figure it out.
Karlene :book2

Thanking God every day for you.,
Karls
Book & Film reviews, devotionals, etc...
Undaunted Devotion
Helping my fiction friends find their Legacy

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus »

Oh dear.... :roll: What did I get myself into? :shock:

What makes a good story? A good idea for one....lots of weeks I am stuck for several days, trying to find a unique idea that's just enough out-of-the-box to make it interesting, but not too out-of-the-box that I won't know how to write it.

Then I try to pick the right POV....sometimes a story is told better from first person, and sometimes third person. After that I have to decide the tense - does it work better in present tense or past tense?

Then comes the writing. I know it's hard to learn, but cutting out the passive voice really strengthens the writing. Expanding the vocabulary by nixing the "to be" verbs makes a piece stand out. I try to do it as I'm writing so I don't have to go back and completely reword the sentences.

I also try to keep literary structure points in mind. Am I using imagery? Symbolism? Alliteration and consonance? Smooth transitions between scenes?

Biggest question as I'm writing: am I putting the reader directly into my story, so that they are imagining the event as they are reading? I definitely bomb as far as a challenge entry when I am writing to write, and not for the reader to read. If I look back over my entries, I can easily tell which ones I just typed off in a hurry without keeping that in mind.

I try to focus on the rest of the judging criteria as well. Does it fit the topic? Does it start and end well? Is there a point or am I just babbling? Does the reader come away with a new perspective, or do they just say, "Oh, that was nice," and forget everything they just read?

I usually don't pick a title until I'm submitting. It has to fit with what I've written. Jan's class on title helped me a lot, and improved my pre-Hinting views. :mrgreen:

I certainly don't place often up in the top 10 like Jan and Lisa and Chely do, and I don't have a whole lot of life experience to draw from (which may have something to do with it), but I find myself quite content to slide into the top 40 every other week or so....in fact, it's been close to a year since my last EC, so it's not like I'm an expert or anything. But maybe something in the above paragraphs will give some encouragement.

I'm not even sure exactly how it happened for me....I think I read the top 10 entries every week, and Jan's interview and some of her stuff, and then it just clicked....I knew what to do. One time I was so surprised in the morning that I didn't make EC because I KNEW I had nailed it....in the evening I found I was 11th place! I know Josh had been writing regularly for almost a year when he got his first EC, and it took him a while to see what made that one stand above the rest. So for each one it's different.

If you find yourself really stuck, ask advice from some of the real Masters; they might have some suggestions to move you along. Every writer has their own voice, though - we all can't be Jan. :wink: Keep stretching yourself....you will find your niche.

Karlene, you've come a long way and I know God is using your words for His glory. Even if you feel the Challenge scores don't reflect it, you are an amazing writer. And because you love it, I know you won't stop!
South-paw-Scribbler
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by South-paw-Scribbler »

You're right, I'll never quit. Writing is an appendage God grew on me as a child. It's tough to keep focusing on the fact that this is a challenge for growth, learning, encouraging and building one another up, when you like the story, others like the story--in fact "masters" say, "you nailed it!" comment on your story that you'll place really high--then it doesn't touch the top 40.

Things like that tend to derail a girl.

To quit writing is suicide for me. But I am tempermental. :oops: :roll:

Don't get me wrong...I am NOT upset in any way...I am perplexed.
Karlene :book2

Thanking God every day for you.,
Karls
Book & Film reviews, devotionals, etc...
Undaunted Devotion
Helping my fiction friends find their Legacy

Return to “Open Forum - General Writing Discussion”